Options

CEH V7 Failed

bharghavbharghav Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello Everyone,

Today I had taken CEHv7 exam, but unfortunately failed. Score only 69%. I had cross checked each answer before completion of the test and no where I felt I was struggling or I am in danger. I was expecting score in the range 80%.

As of now little down, not sure where I had mistakes. Any thoughts/suggestions you have for me. I know failure is not end of story, may be this failure helps to learn about ethical hacking in better way but what I am not able to digest is "How did I fail the exam"?

I will be preparing for CEH v8, don't know the difference between CEHv7 and CEHv8 but will start studying for CEHv8 soon.

Would love to hear comments/suggestions/criticism from experts and fellow friends.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    WagnaardWagnaard Member Posts: 124
    I feel your pain, as I also got a 69% on it. I'll try the CEH soon. Don't think there is any material published for v8 yet.
  • Options
    Thanks Wagnard, all the best to you. I had changed one correct question to incorrect in last sec. But I would still have been unhappy, even if I have scored 70%. For some questions I felt multiple answers are valid(1 Generically correct, other explicitly correct). This one of the first certification exam I failed, not sure how to react to this situation. Feel low today, may be from tomorrow I will start fresh.From my experience, everything happens for reason. May be in some topics, I assumed as I was good, but in reality I wasn't. From my past experiences, I had learned more from failures from success. May be this failure will teach me more than achieving success today.
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Sorry to hear that, man. I know that EC-Council is having a sale on cyber Monday where you can get their ilearn CEH package for $999 instead of the normal $1599. It includes a test voucher so that's a $500 dollar value right there and you "only" pay $499 for the streaming lectures, official courseware, practice test, and the online labs. It you have the mula for it, that appears to be a pretty good deal.
  • Options
    rich1234567rich1234567 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    check out test king or pass 4 sure or any of those type of sights even cccure or transcender you could use that as a studying material
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Using brain **** is HIGHLY frowned upon on this forums. Please do not advise anyone to use them.
  • Options
    all 4of those are brain ****?
  • Options
    Thanks Khaos1911. I got access to the material.

Thanks Rich, but I don't want to use brain **** to pass exam. I would like to pass exam on my own talent, if I didn't pass the exam that means I didn't analyze/understand the concepts in a good way. Thanks for your reply.

Thanks MrAgent. Yes agree with you. I would like to pass this exam with my own knowledge. My goal for certification is to enhance my knowledge, not just get a certificate. I will focus more and study hard this time again.

Experts/Pros :- Any piece of advice, suggestions or plan of approach I should follow to pass certification successfully this time. I will be taking CEHv8.

Regards,
    Vijay B.
  • Options
    aother good thing to do is download vmware and put linux on it maybe fedora or kali and practice some of the tools on there. From when I remember taking it alot of what if questions and actually practicing it makes it easier to remember. snort is for free, splunk, squil, are all free tools and wireshark. Also you can purposely infected your vmware and play with it and such. Kali is a good tool to use just a back track but an OS version. These are good for if you dont use the IDS tools or security tools in general to get a better understanding of the question with actually using some of the tools.
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Bharghav, what materials did you use to prepare for V7? What materials will you use for V8?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    I was under the impression that the CEHv7 exam would not be available after 10/31/2013. Maybe it was not possible to sign up for v7 after that date. Are you sure it was v7 that you took? What was the exam number?

Anyway, there is a link in one of these discussion threads to a PDF that illustrates the differences between CEH v7 and v8 by section name. Mobile Device hacking is the only new module added, although I've read from people taking CEHv8 that they didn't notice much on this subject. I've also heard two CEH instructors remark that they took the CEHv8 exam without any extra preparation and had no problems with it.
  • Options
    Thanks Rich. I have practical experience with most of the common tools such as "Snort","tcpdump", "hping", "nmap". I don't think I had faced any issue answering any questions related to these tools. But I definitely lacked experience with most of the windows tools which we don't use on day to day basis.

Thanks Khaos. I had used below material for study.

1) Matt Walker :- All in one guide.
    2) Below 4 official CEH books :-

Securing Network Infrastructure.
    Attack Phases
    Threats and Defense Mechanisms
    Web Application and Data Servers.

3) Ucertify preparation material.

I had studied all three material thoroughly except "tools" especially windows tools which we dont use on day to day basis. Other than tools I was confident with rest of the concepts.

Thanks.

Regards,
    Vijay B.
  • Options
    Thanks JDMurray. I am taking this as part of my part time masters program. There is exception for college, that we can take this CEHv7 until semester ends which was 11/30/2013. Now I need to go for CEHv8. CEH score report doesn't say how many questions I had answered wrong per topic, it would be useful for me if I get such report. Now I don't have any clue. I still feel I had answered correctly(I had cross checked each answer). I need to start fresh again to see if I had missed anything.

I will be starting my preparation again from Today and planning to take exam again by end of December.

Regards,
    Vijay B.
  • Options
    sckalathsckalath Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've heard bad things about the Ucertify prep material. Can't remember where or else I'd provide the link. If you can swing it, use the Boson practice exams. I used those and they provided excellent guard rails for me in studying for the exam.

You'll have an advantage going into your re-take as you know what to expect this time. Good luck!
  • Options
    if you took CEH V7 and now taking CEHV8 I have heard that there has been many changes to the exam. So be cautious
  • Options
    Thanks sckalath(I will buy Boson Practice Exam).

Thanks Rich. I will keep note of your point.