Options

70-685 Home Lab Setup Help

kyatl88kyatl88 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I have a laptop with windows vista business 32bit and a laptop with windows 7 ultimate 64 bit 2.4ghz i3 4gb ram, a 5 port small 3com unmanaged switch(still in package) and I get my internet by tethering from my smart phone. I have downloaded virtual box on my 64 bit laptop and plan on downloading windows server 2008 onto the virtual box.

now my questions are;

will it be necessary to download 08 server r2 onto virtual box to understand the exam? and if so how will I use server 08 it if it's not mentioned of the 70-685-686 book? To better understand server 08 (to which I have some knowledge from college) should I purchase a book dedicated to server 08 and study it before I study the 685-686 book? Should I also upgrade my vista 32 bit to win 7 32 bit to have 2 computers running win 7 or should I download win 7 on my vista laptop into virtual box? will my 3 com 5 port switch connect everything together so that I can simulate a small LAN configuration. I apologize If I sound rediculous, I just want to make sure I don't waste any time and money on this exam by failing it and hopefully one of you out there understands what I trying to say, even though it does not seem to make any sense. If anyone has a better way to approach this exam, please feel free to let me know I am definitely open to any suggestions.

Thank you for any help. CHOW!

Comments

• Options
    fadeinthemixfadeinthemix Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    All I had was Windows 8 desktop with 4 vm's.
    2 Servers and 2 desktops
  • Options
    Thanks for the help! Sounds like a winner.
  • Options
    SteveFerSteveFer Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    kyatl88 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I have a laptop with windows vista business 32bit and a laptop with windows 7 ultimate 64 bit 2.4ghz i3 4gb ram, a 5 port small 3com unmanaged switch(still in package) and I get my internet by tethering from my smart phone. I have downloaded virtual box on my 64 bit laptop and plan on downloading windows server 2008 onto the virtual box.

now my questions are;

will it be necessary to download 08 server r2 onto virtual box to understand the exam? and if so how will I use server 08 it if it's not mentioned of the 70-685-686 book? To better understand server 08 (to which I have some knowledge from college) should I purchase a book dedicated to server 08 and study it before I study the 685-686 book? Should I also upgrade my vista 32 bit to win 7 32 bit to have 2 computers running win 7 or should I download win 7 on my vista laptop into virtual box? will my 3 com 5 port switch connect everything together so that I can simulate a small LAN configuration. I apologize If I sound rediculous, I just want to make sure I don't waste any time and money on this exam by failing it and hopefully one of you out there understands what I trying to say, even though it does not seem to make any sense. If anyone has a better way to approach this exam, please feel free to let me know I am definitely open to any suggestions.

Thank you for any help. CHOW!

I'm doing the 70-680 so its similar to yourself, and I have 2 server 08 vms , and 2 w7 Ultimate clients. I had little or no knowledge of '08 before hand, but its fine, I setup a domain and WDS with the 2 servers via youtube. Definiltey dont go and buy an '08 book.
  • Options
    Hi Steve,

Thanks for the advice Steve. Is there a way I can get 2 evaluation copies of win 7 and server 08 as opposed to one from microsoft, so that I can set up 2 of each? I figure they will only let you evaluate one copy of each. I am on a tight budget lol
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    You can rearm the system several times and use it for up to 6 months I believe. More than enough time.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    Hi Shdwmage,

Thanks for the response. Do you have any idea if I can I download 2 evaluation copies so that I can have 2 servers on virtual box at the same time or will MS only let me get one copy or do I even need two to study for the 685 exam?
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    You can use the same install. It's just a trial version.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    Ok thanks for the help.