What's an average salary for a junior cyber security analyst?

jjwooyoungjjwooyoung Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just got an email from the company that I applied for, and they want me to confirm my salary requirements and whether or not I'd be able to do the graveyard shift (says most junior analysts start at that shift...). I'm willing to do the graveyard shift since I just graduated in May and honestly, I'd take anything haha.. These pass two months have been very demotivating with applying to companies and not getting an answer.

But judging from the email, the HR rep would take my answer into consideration (along with latest version of my resume) before scheduling an interview. I don't want to give a high salary expectation and have them pass me up before I can even get the interview.

Comments

• jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Where at? How much experience do you have?

What do you think you're reasonably worth?
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • jjwooyoungjjwooyoung Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are you asking for a location or company?
    I don't have years of experience, at most like 8 months of interning. Like I said, I just graduated in May and my contract (internship) ended a few months ago.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    With no experience beyond interning and without knowing where you live, I wouldn't say too much more then $40 to $45k a year. I would probably add that your negotiable on salary. I always hate that question because they know what they want to pay, just state it up front and save everyone the trouble. Companies waste more money going through resumes and interviews due to not stating what the salary is then if they were just to say it up front.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nobody can reasonably answer this without knowing your location.

If it helps you any, my first security analyst position paid me 55k in Phoenix.
    Ah, I'm in San Diego. Would it be better to just out negotiable rather than an exact number?
    As a general rule, I don't accept the first offer the first time it's offered. I always counter.

If they don't give an initial number and ask you for one, you'll have to play it by ear - Do you know how much you'd like to make? You won't want to give them that number, you'll want to give them an increased number so when they negotiate you down you're close.

This being your first security job you may not hit a home run the first time. Take mental notes, learn from the negotiation experience, etc.
  • dou2bledou2ble Member Posts: 160
    Are you going commerical or DOD? That makes a difference too. And is your degree from a traditional 4 year or online type institution (to inclulde National, Coleman and UOP)?
    2015 Goals: Masters in Cyber Security
  • nestechnestech Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jjwooyoung wrote: »
    I just got an email from the company that I applied for, and they want me to confirm my salary requirements and whether or not I'd be able to do the graveyard shift (says most junior analysts start at that shift...). I'm willing to do the graveyard shift since I just graduated in May and honestly, I'd take anything haha.. These pass two months have been very demotivating with applying to companies and not getting an answer.

But judging from the email, the HR rep would take my answer into consideration (along with latest version of my resume) before scheduling an interview. I don't want to give a high salary expectation and have them pass me up before I can even get the interview.

For San Diego, CA Security Analyst On the low end it will be 46k-51k, mid 55k -60k and High 65k – 75k…
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Check out www.glassdoor.com, PayScale - Salary Comparison, Salary Survey, Search Wages, and Robert Half's salary report for technology. On the ranges you will basically be on the low end since you just graduated and depending on any certifications you might have that are applicable.
    dou2ble wrote: »
    Are you going commerical or DOD? That makes a difference too. And is your degree from a traditional 4 year or online type institution (to inclulde National, Coleman and UOP)?
    It's going to be DoD, in the description it had a clearance requirement (which I have from my internship). My degree is from a traditional 4 year university
    nestech wrote: »
    For San Diego, CA Security Analyst On the low end it will be 46k-51k, mid 55k -60k and High 65k – 75k…
    I told them it's negotiable and they replied asking for a range and that it'd most likely be around 50k. This is good right? I should just agree 50k is fine since I just graduated
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't know about cost of living in San Diego, but 50k would be fine for a single guy on an entry job in my opinion.

My wife and I live comfortably off a similar salary (doing similar work).

Is it contract work? If so, be mindful of the contract end date and prepare accordingly.

Get your foot in the door, network, and hold onto that clearance.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
    DOD + clearance usually pays a bit more. It also depends on if the position requires a degree. If it does you'll get more. 50k isn't bad for entry level and at a jr position it never hurts to ask for 5k more. In a year or two you'll have more experience, get some certs and then go for a higher salary. You could jump 20-30% easily if you apply yourself.

If you PM me the employer I could probably offer more advice.
    Since they haven't scheduled an interview yet, I'm assuming they're screening me right? So, would it be a good idea to reply to the email with something like this: "I would feel more comfortable discussing the salary range in person, may we schedule an interview so I can come in and talk"?
    I wouldn't recommend asking to state your salary requirements in person. This is normally done over the phone with HR, prior to interviewing with the hiring manager. Every employer is slightly different but when I've been asked to provide my salary requirements over the phone or in my resume I've always complied. Now there's nothing wrong with requesting when your interview will be. I've done that. They understand that you have time constraints and decisions to make as well. Don't tell them they're your "last hope".
    I was contacted back to schedule a phone interview. Usually what kind of questions are asked for this type of position? It's not going to be like "what did you do at your last job?" Because that's what I got at previous internships
    I'm assuming you're past HR and are now onto a phone interview with the hiring manager. I do think that question will be one of theirs. I always like to ask about previous experiene and for examples to back that up. When one's resume shows S+ or CISSP I want to hear proof of experience and if it's the right fit for us. In the DOD C&A World there are many different positions; roles and responsibilities. I'm not exactly sure what the position you're applying for will be. Remember, your answers will also show your character and work ethic.
    jjwooyoung wrote: »
    I was contacted back to schedule a phone interview. Usually what kind of questions are asked for this type of position? It's not going to be like "what did you do at your last job?" Because that's what I got at previous internships

Here is a thread I created back in June, outlining what was asked of me in a security analyst interview. Docrice and others added good things as well.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/90294-security-analyst-interview-some-what-you-need-know.html