Options

Is there a reason to use IOS 12.4 versus 15.x?

weakness33weakness33 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
I see a good amount of people posting about having to use v12.4 for lab configurations versus v15.x. Why is that? Is it because the actual exams are using and v15?

Comments

• Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Perhaps the HW they are using does not support v15 or they do not have the DRAM/Flash for it?
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Equipment with 12.4 will be less expensive than 15.x. Generally there will be less memory, possibly less ports, older equipment etc. At least for CCENT and CCNA, you don't miss many commands on 12.4 versus 15.x.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Back when I was buying my equipment a 1760 (IOS 12.4T) ran about $20 (Buy It Now) on eBay, while an ISR (IOS 15) ran $140 (Buy It Now). Prices were slightly lower if you bid or bought "As Is" (many were sold "As Is" because they had no IOS or the seller had no idea how to test it - at 1760 prices it was worth the risk to save $6). ISRs have come down some (I see the 1811 and 1841 for under $100 now), but that's still alot more than a 1760 costs, though not all that much more than the overpriced [for what it offers] 2600XM series.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    weakness33weakness33 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    theodoxa wrote: »
    Back when I was buying my equipment a 1760 (IOS 12.4T) ran about $20 (Buy It Now) on eBay, while an ISR (IOS 15) ran $140 (Buy It Now). Prices were slightly lower if you bid or bought "As Is" (many were sold "As Is" because they had no IOS or the seller had no idea how to test it - at 1760 prices it was worth the risk to save $6). ISRs have come down some (I see the 1811 and 1841 for under $100 now), but that's still alot more than a 1760 costs, though not all that much more than the overpriced [for what it offers] 2600XM series.

I've been seeing monsters like 2811 and 2821's going for $75 or less with a proper Best Offer and 3550s for around $50. Granted that may be too much but its still a point of reference for purchasing for things in the future, like voice.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not every router in your lab has to run 15. A pair of 2800's and a pair of 1760's will take a you a long way without killing your bank account. You're probably not even missing too much today except for future proofing with a router that tops out on 12.4T.