Options

New to the microsoft certification

nicko444nicko444 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I am reading up on these forums allot lately because I got myself a new job. This job enables me to do whatever course and exam I want to, and the best part is that it doest cost me any money at all.

My employer gives me acces to an e-learning environment. Every microsoft exam is covered with their courses so there is allot of documentation in the e-learning. But I figured that its easier for me to practice things on virtual setups and reading things from paper instead listening to e-learning.

So I started studying the 70-680, I am currently doing the e-learning and reading stuff on internet. Downloaded CBT nuggets movie pack and all. Is there a website or something which covers real practicing in virtual machines for 70-680?

Also im looking for some learning tips, things I SHOULD really know about microsoft exams since im new to this whole scene.

Also I am not sure when I can call myself MCSA/MCSE/MCITP/?? Does anyone have an overview of the classifications?

Thanks for your time.

Nick

Comments

• Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    As for knowing what to identify yourself as, ie, MCSA/MCSE, visit the following link for clarification.

IT Certifications | MCP | Microsoft

70-680 is a rough test to cut your teeth on. If you have other exams in mind I would recommend testing them first as I, as well as others, have found it to be pretty difficult, even with Microsoft testing experience (Not that that necessarily is a prerequisite).

You're right in that labbing is the way to go. I would build out your own test environment as it will get plenty of use as you go through your IT career, especially if acquiring multiple certifications is something that interests you.

Best of luck.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    The Professor Messer Videos are the best I've seen. They aren't to dry and he uses Star Gate references all the time so it isn't completely boring, to me anyhow. That being said the 70-680 is a rough test to break your teeth on.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    nicko444nicko444 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the responses, I have no choice in which course to take first. They told me to do the 70-680 first so its gonna be tough apparently.
  • Options
    Judderman88Judderman88 Member Posts: 56 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll echo the comments from others,
    70-680 is a toughie, took me 2 attempts. Professor Messor is a great resource but varying the media you use for studying is beneficial. Videos, books and labs, lots of labs!
    One of the tricks with Microsoft exams is picking the salient information out of a question. They can pad out questions with stuff that isn't relevant.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    Indeed. It will set you up nicely for the MCSA Server 2008/2012 though.

Just don't be naive enough to believe that since you've used Windows 7 that it in any way prepares you for the test. There are numerous features within 7 that you will be tested on that the average user hasn't even heard of.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    tprice5 wrote: »
    There are numerous features within 7 that you will be tested on that the average user hasn't even heard of.

I agree with this whole heartily. Truthfully most businesses won't use it either.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    CrikeyCrikey Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tprice5 wrote: »
    There are numerous features within 7 that you will be tested on that the average user hasn't even heard of.
    Shdwmage wrote: »
    I agree with this whole heartily. Truthfully most businesses won't use it either.

In all my years I've found this to be true with Microsoft. Still have to study it to get the cert though!