Options

File Server Migration - 2003 Box to 2012R2 Virtual Cluster - Issues

SouthSeaPirateSouthSeaPirate Member Posts: 173
VM and cluster is ready to go, but I still cannot get the result Im looking for.

I have tried RoboCopy, Backup Exec, and even this to no avail.

NTFS permissions simply shows numbers and the shares never show at all.

To whomever has actually done this; what did you do?

Comments

• Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    Share copies only work if the directory structure is the same, and created first.

If the share existed on d:\shared folders\ThisShare it MUST exist in the same place on the new server, otherwise the registry export won't work properly.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    Shdwmage wrote: »
    Share copies only work if the directory structure is the same, and created first.

If the share existed on d:\shared folders\ThisShare it MUST exist in the same place on the new server, otherwise the registry export won't work properly.

I am doing exactly this.

Only it's E: drive going to E: drive.
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    Was the original Drive E as well?

--
    Never mind I need to l2read.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    LeifAlireLeifAlire Member Posts: 106
    Have you tried restarting at least 3 times...
    2015 Goals: VCP-550 - CISA - 70-417
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You really need to elaborate on the specifics of what you've tried and the problem you're encountering. No idea what Robocopy command you're running or really what your're even trying to accomplish. I assume you're migrating file shares between two members of the same domain, with a 2003 source and 2012 R2 destination, but it's really not clear. Are you saying the NTFS ACLs are just SIDs after running Robocopy, not named accounts and groups?

FWIW, Server 2012 is not listed as a relevant OS in KB125996. I would be surprised if MS changed the reg key, but not that surprised.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Easiest way: FSMT:
    Download Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit 1.2 from Official Microsoft Download Center

Create yourself a test share with a few subfolders and files, with random permissions, on the 2003 box and run fsmt from the 2012 box. Point fsmt to the old server and copy away. You should do this as many times as needed to get comfortable with how it works, there are a few quirks to figure out and go around. There's a decent set of instructions here, but it's got no pictures:
    How do I use the Microsoft File Server Migration Toolkit (FSMT)? | Systems Management content from Windows IT Pro

M$ has a little whitepaper/doc to go along with it, just google "fsmt" and it should like the second or third result.

EDIT: I haven't done this with R2, only with regular 2012...but I can't imagine it's any different.
  • Options
    ptilsen wrote: »
    You really need to elaborate on the specifics of what you've tried and the problem you're encountering. No idea what Robocopy command you're running or really what your're even trying to accomplish. I assume you're migrating file shares between two members of the same domain, with a 2003 source and 2012 R2 destination, but it's really not clear. Are you saying the NTFS ACLs are just SIDs after running Robocopy, not named accounts and groups?

FWIW, Server 2012 is not listed as a relevant OS in KB125996. I would be surprised if MS changed the reg key, but not that surprised.

Figured I didnt really need to say too much more. You nailed it 100% ;)

I also noticed it wasn't listed in the KB and it immediately concerned me. Looks like I need to create a temp share as a test then search the registry.

RC;
    robocopy [URL="file://\\FS01\E$"]\\FS01\E$[/URL] E:\ /E /V /ZB /R:10 /W:10 /TEE /COPYALL /log:E:\initial_copy.log

RC did fine as far as copying. And yes, my terminoligy is lacking correctness, I did mean to say SIDs, but I believe this to be another issue (domain migration).
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Well the domain thing is a big deal and why I asked on both that and robocopy. Robocopy can't magically copy SIDs across forests. You simply cannot use robocopy /copyall to copy files between computers on different forests. If you are doing a domain and file server migration right now, you are going to have some issues.

On the reg migration, it is not sufficient to import the key without modifications, in many cases. You will want to open the file in notepad and verify every listed share is present on the destination system, and either create any that are missing or remove them from the key if they're not.

FSMT is generally an easier, more reliable method. Definitely worth trying if you haven't already.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    This is a well timed thread because I am doing the same thing soon...2003 FS --> 2012 R2 cluster. I guess the main exception is I will be redesigning the folder/share hierarchy because it is wayyy out of hand as it stands! I'll review that white paper forsure.
  • Options
    AnkshuAnkshu Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Migrating files to a new server is not an easy task for a non technical guy like me but I had to it for my company or else I would be fired. That's when I started to look for other software and my friend suggested me to use GS richcopy. This software is simple and packed with features. It notifies me when task is done and never hangs in between. Try it its best!