Options

Network admin

Have an interview for a network admin position, it includes server administration, what kind of questions should i expect on server administration?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What kind of duties does the position include? Without some details all you are going to get is useless guesses.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
    Majority of Job description:

Responsibilities:

Assist in all aspects of network operations as directed by the Sr. Network Administrator and Director of IT.
    Assist in the creation and management of all VMWare virtual servers as directed by the Sr. Network Administrator. This includes but not limited to creating, managing, troubleshooting of all virtualized infrastructure.
    Maintains corporate SAN.
    Configured and troubles client's corporate LAN.
    Assists in managing the security structure, user accounts, and the associated data of all domains.
    Responsible for PC and laptop cloning, creation, configuration and troubleshooting.
    Assist in troubleshooting Internet connectivity including IP configuration and domain name registration with our ISP.
    Assist in the configuration of our Internet and internal network load balancer.

Already had a phone interview, they asked about server admin duties, have a feeling it will come up again in the in-person, just need an idea of what they might be looking for.
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Level I admin, sort of a network/server/configuration smart hands and analyst. You'll touch troubleshooting but have a clear escalation path. It's a great way to learn if this is your first if you aim to learn from each issue, implementation, etc.
    :twisted:
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Probably be asked what kind of virtualization projects or environments you've worked with before, and ask you to ellaborate on that experience. With the desktop support piece I'd expect "What software packaging / deployment tools have you used", "What different types of imaging software have you worked with", again asked to elaborate on those.

For the network / LAN portion I'm willing to bet it will be a VLAN related question, so I'd bring something to write with, and write the question down and answer it like you would on a CCNA test.

SAN's I have no experience interviewing for.

Always write down questions and thoughtfully answer them though, that seems to be a biggy, don't try to come off as a human calculator. Hiring managers want someone who digs for the right answer, not someone who knows the wrong answer :)

Good luck!!