Options

70-685 and 70-680 Exams..

Tom239Tom239 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
So getting ready to do the Windows 7 70-680 and 70-685. I know you don't get a MCTIP any more, but you get a MCSA in Windows 7. I went for the Windows 70-680 twice got 480 first time, but didn't do nearly enough work for it and was not prepared.

Second time I got 600. This was a while back

Now started working for the 70-685 and will take both in around 4 months

Just wondered if anyone had any tips, need to know info, exam advice and can you upgrade to windows 8 if needed. So the 70-687 and 70-688

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    chevchelioschevchelios Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    goodluck mate. i failed the 685 today. third time i failed it. extremely hard so be prepared. i passed the 680 second time round with doing less studying. 685 makes the 680 look like baby stuff
  • Options
    Tom239Tom239 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Oh god lol I thought the 70-680 was pretty tough, still haven't passed that one.

Now I got two to do 70-685 and 70-680 in around four months

Although it looks like 70-685 helps with the 70-680, as content overlap

Good luck on the 70-685
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Tom239 wrote: »
    So getting ready to do the Windows 7 70-680 and 70-685. I know you don't get a MCTIP any more, but you get a MCSA in Windows 7. I went for the Windows 70-680 twice got 480 first time, but didn't do nearly enough work for it and was not prepared.

Second time I got 600. This was a while back

Now started working for the 70-685 and will take both in around 4 months

Just wondered if anyone had any tips, need to know info, exam advice and can you upgrade to windows 8 if needed. So the 70-687 and 70-688

Thanks

You actually still have just over a month and a half...

From Microsoft:
    MCITP certifications on Windows 7
    These certifications will be retired on January 31, 2014.
  • Options
    shecklersheckler Member Posts: 201
    MSP-IT wrote: »
    You actually still have just over a month and a half...

From Microsoft:

The exams aren't going away, only the MCITP Win 7 title. If you pass both you'll still get MCSA Win 7.
  • Options
    LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Will you be able to upgrade to a MCSE with the MCSA Win 7? (Or if you have the MCITP after the retirement?)
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i found 680 to be a beast, failed multiple times
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The one thing that really makes me dislike Microsoft exams, is the fact they don't cover in their own study material everything on the exams. In some cases I have heard of people study for months just to take the exam and it's worlds apart from the study material. Microsoft expects you to have hands on experience in every area of the exam. And that is a tall task for most people to get without a VM Lab or actual domain experience. It's the same old issue of not getting the experience without the Cert, and not getting the Cert without the experience. Very frustrating. Another reason I can wait to get my MSCA over with so I can move onto CCNA. Cisco has tons of lab makers both VM and Physical. Besides I get my CCNA and I can go make $10 grand more then a MCSA certified Domain Admin. The return on investment (Microsoft vs Cisco) is better with Cisco.

Ok, I am done ranting. Back to studying for my 70-685. lol
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    4_lom4_lom Member Posts: 485
    685 and 680 are not even in the same ballpark. The 680 was childs play, all you have to do is memorize some facts on Windows 7. With the 685, you actually have to apply troubleshooting skills to answer the questions.

For the 680, I read the Don Poulton book and watched the Professor Messer videos. Both should be sufficient to pass the exam.

For the 685, I used the MS Press book (which was pretty good, despite some negative reviews) and the notes on this forum. Plus a LOT of lab work.

Not sure if you plan on taking the 686, but that one is even harder icon_rolleyes.gif

The 687 (Win8 was pretty easy IMO). I'll be taking the 688 soon, I'll let you know how it goes.
    Goals for 2018: MCSA: Cloud Platform, AWS Solutions Architect, MCSA : Server 2016, MCSE: Messaging

• Options
    bub9001bub9001 Member Posts: 229 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The 70-685 seems to me that it would be easier for me. I haven't taken the 70-685, but I have taking the 70-680 and didn't like the fact I had to know everything, about everything that is Windows 7. I have been using Windows 7 since it's Beta, and find new things about it all the time. I would agree with anyone that says to Lab the 70-680. That is where I fell short on study for the 70-680, and it hurt me big time to not lab enough. So I have sat some Labs on Group Policy and others for the 70-685. Just wish I could find a really cheap Lab book for the 70-685, I know it would help me pass for sure.
    “You were born to win, but to be a winner you must plan to win, prepare to win, and expect to win.” - Zig Ziglar

Goals for 2019: CEH, and CND
    Goals for 2019: CCNA or ECSA
  • Options
    devils_haircutdevils_haircut Member Posts: 284 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I don't know, I passed the 685 on my first attempt, and I didn't really find it difficult at all. The 680 on the other hand...going for my 3rd attempt this Friday.
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've did both exams, passed both on the first shot, but this was with extensive experience with Windows 7. I think a lot of folks underestimate these exams & that's why so many people fail. They aren't like the XP exams; you need to know your stuff.

685: The more tech support of the 2 exams. Read the book, watch the videos and then lab lab lab. If you can build a small network.

680: This is the "Enterprise" level exam and it's tough. This is a bigger picture exam as if you were a senior desktop guy in a large environment and you did all the stuff. It'll touch on Group Policy, WIM (imaging), and the bigger picture stuff. What really gets people on this (in my opinion) is that when you start talking about group policy that is somewhat out of the desktop realm. For a lot of guys in bigger environments they never actually get any hands on with GPO's, the back end of WSUS or imaging..it can be tough. If at ALL possible set up a lab at home and use trial stuff. Unless you know this stuff well you can't just read the book.

Good luck. In my opinion this is one MCITP/MCSA that demonstrates you know what you are doing. I'm also seeing a ton of gigs lately for guys who know this stuff.
  • Options
    coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Passed 70-680 earlier this month. It was a LOT of material, but I managed on my first shot. Now that I'm studying for the second exam (70-685) it's a lot of logical troubleshooting. If you honestly grasped the first exam, and have a history of troubleshooting software/hardware (i.e. helpdesk) then it seems like it's going to be easier.
    System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
    2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure
  • Options
    ronaldrosingronaldrosing Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    LittleBIT wrote: »
    Will you be able to upgrade to a MCSE with the MCSA Win 7? (Or if you have the MCITP after the retirement?)
    Can someone please answer this question, i cant find it on the microsoft website. I want to upgrade to MCSA: Server 2012 / MCSE server/desktop infrastructure. I have the 70-680 and i want to know what is the best option: 70-685 or 70-685 for the easiest way to upgrade to MCSA: Server 2012 with 70-417.
  • Options
    IceBlackIceIceBlackIce Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you have the 70-680, the only path is to take the 70-686 and then you will be eligible to take the 70-417, but that option will only be available until the end of the month, because its until that time, that you will be able to get the MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator that is one of the paths to upgrade to MCSA Windows 2012.

Check here

MCSA: Windows Server | Microsoft
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Can someone please answer this question, i cant find it on the microsoft website. I want to upgrade to MCSA: Server 2012 / MCSE server/desktop infrastructure. I have the 70-680 and i want to know what is the best option: 70-685 or 70-685 for the easiest way to upgrade to MCSA: Server 2012 with 70-417.
    You would need to take 70-686 before January 31st if you have 70-680 already - not an easy task given the difficulty of the exam and the time constraint. You need MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator to upgrade to MCSA:2012. It's listed below:

MCSA:2012 - under "How to upgrade to MCSA: Windows Server 2012 certification"

Alternatively contact Microsoft Learning support for confirmation.