Options

Tools to monitor server performance

Waria AhmedWaria Ahmed Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, we have a server which takes upto 4 hours to reboot. I have a feeling it maybe the checkdisk. I cannot afford to reboot the server to test as it may take upto 4 hours to reboot.

Are there any tools I can use to monitor or test performance?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If it is just a single server and you're not looking to monitor your entire network then see below:

If you want to only test/diagnose the single server:

Prime95 32-bit - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com for your CPU
    Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool for your DIMMs
    7 Free Hard Drive Testing Software Tools for your HDD, choose depending on the Manufacturer.

Also, PC Doctor has a product that will test all of this plus more, including the MOBO, VID, CMOS, etc...

Of course, make sure to grab the x86 or x64 version of these tools depending on the architecture of the server.

Note* You can always reboot and see if CHKDSK tries to run, you always have the option to skip the CHKDSK by hitting any key within 10 seconds. But if CHKDSK is continuously running, you probably have a HDD issues.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    bgold87bgold87 Member Posts: 112
    I would think if the server is equiped with iLO or DRAC (or similar) then you could boot it and watch the BIOS and hit the key for a speedy restart, if that is in fact the issue.

Other than that you could turn SNMP on and set some traps to report back with. You should be able to find some free tools for this.

But the easiest would be to use computer management to connect to the machine remotely then add the snap in for system tools. That would give you access to perfomance, event viewer etc.
  • Options
    cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Also check the logs on the system to see if its giving disk errors.

I would be worried its just going to die soon if you don't have back ups/ raid ect setup and or replace the drive.
  • Options
    The TechnomancerThe Technomancer Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Get a remote console or a crash cart on it, especially if it's taking 4 hours to reboot. There's no software that's going to tell you what's happening prior to the OS initializing.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There should be a way to run chkdsk without trying to repair any errors it finds and I believe you should be able to run it while the server is online but I don't use windows too often so I don't remember. If the server is remote then do you not have an onsite technician who can console the server to see what's going on? It could very well be a hardware issues and an onsite tech who can replace hardware will be essential at that point.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Plug in a monitor and watch the screen?
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    I'm not an SA yet, but what would you look for if the performance issue is close to 100%?