Options

IT Security career path

MrWiltzMrWiltz Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all, I am having a very hard time figuring out what steps I should take for an IT Security based career.

Right now, I have an associates degree in Computer Networking and I am now getting ready for certification preparation but I don't know where to start. I am now in school for a BS in Information Technology at Columbia Southern University.

Please help me with my career path!

Comments

• Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    IT security is a pretty broad term. Anything more specific to point us in the right direction?
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    SecurityThroughObscuritySecurityThroughObscurity Member Posts: 212 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CISSP, CISA, CCIE Security - must have.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    If you look around the forums, you will probably find the information you need. However, if you want personalized advice - I don't think anyone minds. The thing is that to choose the optimal path, more information is required.

Therefore, I have to disagree with SecuritythroughObscurity. How can you possibly know that a CCIE Sec, for example, is a must have? I don't really think that a malware analyst needs this cert. It may be a no brainer if you are in network security but it is questionable how much value it would bring to someone in pen testing and if it would the optimal solution(web app pen testing comes to mind). Especially when taking into account how hard it is to achieve and the ROI. But I do agree about the CISSP. This is probably the universal infosec cert that would help everyone. CISM is also questionable and depends on what you want(if it's management - seems like a good move). On the other hand, if you are strictly technical, you might want to look in another direction.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    MrWiltz wrote: »
    Right now, I have an associates degree in Computer Networking and I am now getting ready for certification preparation but I don't know where to start.

I'd suggest starting with a Network+ certification and then following it with a Security+ certification. These two certs can help you gauge your level of knowledge from your AS in Computer Networking and ensure you're exposed to important current concepts. Assuming you were able to get a lot of knowledge from the AS, you can probably complete the Network+ in 45 days and the Security+ in 30 additional days.

These certs help build a solid foundation and with your AS, they can help you ensure you have a solid foundation. Many people pursue the trip of A+, Network+, and then Security+, but with the AS, it's realistic to bypass the A+.

CISSP and CCIE Security are good security certifications but I wouldn't recommend starting with them for most people.

Good luck.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I recommend CCNA, MCSA and Security+ as a foundation. Right now I'm playing catch up on my Microsoft knowledge. When I say foundation I mean at the very least for a foundation to build everything else upon.
  • Options
    nestechnestech Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MrWiltz wrote: »
    Hello all, I am having a very hard time figuring out what steps I should take for an IT Security based career.

Right now, I have an associates degree in Computer Networking and I am now getting ready for certification preparation but I don't know where to start. I am now in school for a BS in Information Technology at Columbia Southern University.

Please help me with my career path!

Network + and Security + will be the best place to start...

These guys are in your state: Careers | IT GRC Compliance Solutions | TraceSecurity
    Check them out...
  • Options
    MrWiltzMrWiltz Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys! I am going for the Network+! Thanks for helping me figure out a direction!