Options

Home Lab questions

dustinpndustinpn Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I've done some research and have purchased some parts from ebay. Of course I overlooked some stuff and now I have 2 1710 routers on the way that I am pretty sure won't run 12.4 as they don't have the required flash size.

My question is: how important is having 12.4 on all of the routers in the lab?

I also bought a 2610XM 128/32 router with 12.4 already installed and have 3 2950 Switches.

I'm pretty sure this will be fine even though 2 of the routers aren't 12.4, but I'm just looking for reassurance or tips to get going the right direction. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    dustinpn wrote: »
    So I've done some research and have purchased some parts from ebay. Of course I overlooked some stuff and now I have 2 1710 routers on the way that I am pretty sure won't run 12.4 as they don't have the required flash size.

My question is: how important is having 12.4 on all of the routers in the lab?

I also bought a 2610XM 128/32 router with 12.4 already installed and have 3 2950 Switches.

I'm pretty sure this will be fine even though 2 of the routers aren't 12.4, but I'm just looking for reassurance or tips to get going the right direction. Any help is appreciated.

Shame you have already paid for those, you want to purchase equipment that will take you through your studies. Now you will most likely have something that will need to be replaced if not already. Not sure they are testing on v15 yet at CCENT/CCNA level?

You want equipment that will support v15 or at least 12.2(44) on switches (crypto,dot1x) funtionality I think at that revision, something like that?

3560's will carry you into CCNP/CCIE as would 1841 routers. I would always recommend Packet Tracer for CCNA levels
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The new CCNA has I think only one topic (licensing) that requires IOS 15. At the CCNP level, you would definitely need some newer equipment.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]