Options

CCNA/CCENT help

tushstertushster Member Posts: 9 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey everyone! I started studying for my CCNA earlier this year (May to be exact). I purchased Wendell Odom's ICND1 and ICND2 books. I started reading them and decided I would take the CCNA exam after reading both books. I failed pretty miserably.

Afterwards, I thought I felt a bit overwhelmed jumping directly into the CCNA. On top of that, I got my Network+ before starting to study for Cisco. I think I let that get to my head that with already some networking knowledge, I should be okay. Clearly that was definitely not the right way to go as Cisco does introduce to you A LOT of new concepts.

My next approach was splitting the exams and focusing on the ICND1 separately. Once I pass, then I can move onto the ICND2. I gave myself a good amount of time to study, using the book and watching tutorial videos on YouTube that had a lot of good information. I took the ICND1 exam twice. I failed the first time with a much lower score than anticipated. The second time, I failed again but my score drastically improved, but I'm still not where I am hoping to be.

Basically, I'm at a point where it's clear my current approach doesn't seem to be working and I'm looking for any and all suggestions that would help. I have looked into those 5-day training camps, but my wallet can't handle those prices. On top of that, I don't think I'll be able to soak in all the material, especially going that fast.

This question is for those of you who have taken the CCNA or CCENT ICND1 and ICND2 exams and have passed. If you used Wendell Odom's book, what else did you do in addition that helped you?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Do you have a lab? What sections are you having trouble with?

When I did the CCNA I used mainly Odom and CBT Nuggets, but that has been a while ago now!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick reply! I actually should've mentioned in the first post that I do have labs I have access too. I don't have an actual router or switch to configure, but I heard from several people that it's really not that necessary. I purchased the full version of the simulator which goes hand-in-hand with Odom's books.

Forgive me for not putting percentages. The sections I am mostly having trouble with are IP Services, IP Routing Technologies, and Network Device Security.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    What I would do is take the exam topics and correlate them to the topics on your score report. Then concentrate on the ones you have trouble with. The Odom books contain everything you need to pass the test so more material isn't needed, but a fresh approach might help. Some people like the books by Todd Lammle as well.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    For those of you who have recently used CBTNuggets for preparing for the CCENT and/or CCNA, are there labs/additional practice which is included? I've been hearing a lot of good things about CBTNuggets and am considering pursuing that to help me get additional knowledge hammered in, but I think knowing if they come with labs and practice questions will help solidify that.
  • Options
    DyasisDyasis Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, they have an entire course for labs called "Cisco for the Real World" its is around 23 nuggets long and covers routing, dhcp, vlans, STP etc..