Options

Working Helpdesk

I have just gotten my first Full Time IT job. I will be working help desk, and of course, I want to start off the job doing good, I don't have much professional experience ,and they were looking for someone with 3 years+ experience. So do you guys have any website/books/suggestions/ COMMON PROBLEMS, that will help me out...

The company is a technical solutions company that provides and supports the technologies for other companies..

any common calls that would come in?

Comments

• Options
    Theegg911Theegg911 Member Posts: 124
    Well you have 2 of the starter certs so that shows you are willing to learn. Do you have the posting you could PM to me? It would be helpful to see some of the job info so I can give you a better idea on what to expect.

On any helpdesk or consulting job you always want to keep busy. Never make it look like you are playing around or on your cell phone. This sets a bad impression. Work one ticket/call then move onto the next one. Never be afraid to ask questions. The only dumb questions is the one not asked.

Be willing to study and learn things even when you are at home. What kind of environment is it? Do you have the option of building virtual machines?
    Next Goal: Office 365 70-346 (Scheduled for 9/25)
  • Options
    swisschris104swisschris104 Member Posts: 109
    It is mainly calls and emails and we are able to remote into the computers 90 percent of the time. Not sure about virtual machines, or onsite lab
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have a look through this thread I created a while ago asking this very same thing when I was new to IT: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/71131-helpdesk-most-common-fixes-problems.html

I'd say it's pretty accurate.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    I wouldn't worry about the issues too much. Generally you will be taught how to fix most issues. Plus Google is your friend. Keep one thing in mind and you will do great: Keep calm and don't take it personally. If someone gets mad, don't get mad back. If Bob from accounting is being a dick, don't take it personally. He is likely just frustrated that his computer isn't working (or he is a dick, which your co-workers will tell you about anyway).

It isn't all angry people and yelling, but a good composure is way more valuable than specific knowledge going in. Good luck with the job.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Google can be your friend. Does your job have an internal wiki with problems/solutions? If not, create your own list so you can refer back to it when ned to.
  • Options
    One way to get recognized is if the company has poor documentation, start compiling how-to's and create checklists. Then when one day you have alot, present it to your team. One person got promoted where I work. Companies love when you are able to create solutions for them. In this case it was kicking off an internal knowledge base.
  • Options
    From what their website looks like, it looks kinda of like my job. Or so it seems. And yes, Google google google EVERYTHING if you do not understand it. Of course it doesn't hurt to ask people. But people will see you as reliable and dependable if you are able to find solutions yourself. It'll take about a month before you are really comfortable with the job. Always show up to work 5-10 minutes before the start of your shift. And if you are salary, leave about 10-15 minutes late everyday if noone minds. If you work till 5:30 and pack up at 5:29, the company will get a bad vibe about you. Even if you are not doing anything, act like you are researching or look at the next ticket and have an idea on how to work it the next day.

Investing 15-20 minutes of your own time to your job will help you in the long run.
  • Options
    DigitalZeroOneDigitalZeroOne Member Posts: 234 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The best advice that I can give is that most problems have simple solutions. A lot of problems come down to the wrong password, wrong username, cable unplugged, permissions, etc. It's easy to start to look for some complex solution when a problem occurs, but always remember to keep it simple for the answer.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    If it's internal you'll quickly get into the groove of usual fixes, there's usually one standard environment you*support.

My best troubleshooting tips are clearing temp files / cookies and restarting the web browser takes care of a lot of random errors in IE, as well as reinstalling the browser itself, also uninstalling and reinstalling java / flash player for embedded objects on web pages not working.

I guess I could go on for paragraphs for common fixes, any particular environment or apps you support?
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Like it's always been said, "listening is a skill" this very important for the kind of job you are doing, since you don't have any experience I would suggest practicing active listening and good communication skills, do some research on how to professionally handle/manage a call, technical skills alone won't help, the first few calls might make you nervous don't try to formulate an answer while a caller is still describing his/her problem during a call, listen don't let your mind wander you must listen until the caller finishes to describe a problem then formulate a response by either, questioning the caller/user's attempt for a resolution(this helps to modify the problem) or if you have enough information you can attempt to answer or escalate. Remember the way in which you answer a call can set the pace for the duration of the call. Your minor troubleshooting skills will be required, try and be more savvy with the products that you will be supporting in your organisation. Take it from me my worst experience at the moment is not knowing. All the best!!!icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OP, I appreciate you making this thread.

I just got hired for a position that requires 5 years experience. I don't have a day. I don't run my own server in my house, or build my own rigs. I literally have zero clue what to expect.

This sort of helps me be a little more at ease. I got hired based on my willingness to learn.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats OP. I was in your shoes when I got hired for Desktop Support back in August. Took me a few weeks to get the hang of things, but that was to be expected as nobody should expect you to come in knowing everything. Expect to learn daily and when it doubt Google it out. I'm approaching the end of the my contract and praying that they convert me as I love both the company and position.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021