Options

What programming languages should I learn?

ITcognitoITcognito Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi. I'm a security student in my second year of a degree program. I am not looking to become a full-time programmer or software developer. I'd just like to know enough to read and understand code so that I can check for vulnerabilities or reverse engineer. I've just completed a Python course and there won't be any more programming classes offered. So far I know: HTML5, CSS, JavaScript, Bash, SQL, and Python. I was thinking of studying C. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    From a Admin stand point I see a lot of our server guys writing scripts in Python and Midrange using PERL. PERL should be an easy pickup for you judging from your listed languages.
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You don't need perl if you know python most of what you can do in one is redundant in the other.
    C and C++ or .net/java will round you out.

Unix itself is also really helpful.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    C/C++ and assembly will be useful if you need to develop exploits or understand them. Learning Python is a great idea and the array of languages you have so far is quite good.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    ITcognito wrote: »
    ... So far I know: HTML5, CSS, JavaScript, Bash, SQL, and Python. I was thinking of studying C. Any suggestions?
    Interesting array. Almost evenly divided between imperative and markup languages. None is system- level programming though. Are you hoping to cover that gap? If so, I'd say go for C. I know that not picking up C hurt me while studying programming on my own and have the impression that if I picked up C first, everything else would have been much easier to comprehend.
    How do you define "know" a programming language? Or should I say, how do you know you have "graduated" on certain programming language?