Options

Do most Help Desk/Desktop Support Jobs train on the job?

fontenjjfontenjj Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was wondering if most companies train you on your first couple days when doing a help desk/ desktop support role? For example do you shadow someone for the first couple of days to get the hang of things? Or do they basically throw you to the wolves? Is there a manual you follow to help with troubleshooting? I apologize for the stupid questions as I have no idea where else to ask. Thanks guys.

Comments

• Options
    samurai86samurai86 Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think this a tough call. I have experienced both. I have been out of desktop support for almost two years now, but in my experience I was told to shadow, and in others they gave me a ticket and told me to figure it out.
    Bachelor's of Applied Science in Technology Management - Information Security Assurance (St. Petersburg College)
    Masters of Science in Digital Forensics (University of Central Florida)
  • Options
    CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First helpdesk job I did there was a month of training in one of their classrooms. After that we shadowed for a couple of weeks and then were left to fend for ourselves. There was help along the way though such as google, peers, and technical leads.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    CodeBlox wrote: »
    First helpdesk job I did there was a month of training in one of their classrooms. After that we shadowed for a couple of weeks and then were left to fend for ourselves. There was help along the way though such as google, peers, and technical leads.
    did you go from help desk to security?
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    My very first Service Desk (c'mon people, ITIL) position was a few weeks of training because we were a startup. Even with the training, I was not prepared. But I learned a lot and taught a lot of my co-workers which is when I really got a grasp of the material. My second job was a "thrown to the wolves" type deal. First day I was on the phones. Trial by fire is rough but efficient for everyone involved.

Both had a Knowledge Base, but it isn't always a great or useful tool. Be sure to take your own notes if you are going into a Service Desk role. I use Outlook Notes to store important information. Just a thought. Good Luck.
  • Options
    relentlessactionrelentlessaction Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Most you will learn on the job but helps to know your way around different systems and know the terminology. Most of the requirements that most job position ask for are requirements that HR prefers to have to screen their candidates better.
  • Options
    ledywhiteledywhite Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□