Options

Best Book+Database to learn Querying and Syntax quickly?

coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey all,

New job-related factor in my life is MS SQL and learning syntax/how to query on T-SQL.

I've partitioned a 50gb drive and installed Server 2012 R2. I also installed SQL Server Management Studio 2012. I setup the AdventureWorks database and run a a few basic queries here and there.

There doesn't seem to be many training exercises online regarding this database. I'm looking for a great book that I can purchase which will include a detailed database and countless exercises for me to spend time querying, practicing, and learning the language. As I do that I'm sure I'll get a better grasp on the Management Studio program itself (but for the most part it's fairly intuitive).

Any pointers in the right direction? Something that is on Kindle is a plus because then I don't have to drop tons of cash on a book (but I will if I have to). I have a few days off and I want to cram as much in as possible. I'm picking up on it really quickly I just need something to get me going. Something with countless hours of exercises and a strong database to back it up.

Thanks!
System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure

Comments

• Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    RDBMS I would say SSMS 2012 Express. Free and can take you a long way if you put the time in. I would avoid books at first and come up with a project and use Google a lot. S3 website has a lot of good information.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    RDBMS I would say SSMS 2012 Express. Free and can take you a long way if you put the time in. I would avoid books at first and come up with a project and use Google a lot. S3 website has a lot of good information.
    I already downloaded and installed SSMS 2012 and have been using google. I made this thread specifically to ask for books.

2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure
  • Options
    New job-related factor in my life is MS SQL and learning syntax/how to query on T-SQL.

Why wouldn't you use the database at work to learn T-SQL? That seems rather bizarre. Go to amazon.com and type in adventureworks 2012 I am sure you will find several books that use that database for training if you would rather go that route. Any of the MS training kits will use Adventureworks database for samples including 461.

This is a good place to go - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms167593.aspx

SQLZOO http://sqlzoo.net/wiki/AdventureWorks_easy_questions

I found this book fairly helpful however it's not a Kindle version, I doubt MS makes Kindle version at the moment. Other than that don't know what else to say. I learn buy just being thrown into a projects and delivering.

http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Server-2012-T-SQL-Fundamentals/dp/0735658145/ref=sr_1_sc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1386559685&sr=8-2-spell&keywords=2012+iztik
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    Why wouldn't you use the database at work to learn T-SQL? That seems rather bizarre. Go to amazon.com and type in adventureworks 2012 I am sure you will find several books that use that database for training if you would rather go that route. Any of the MS training kits will use Adventureworks database for samples including 461.

This is a good place to go - Tutorials

SQLZOO AdventureWorks easy questions - SQLZOO

I found this book fairly helpful however it's not a Kindle version, I doubt MS makes Kindle version at the moment. Other than that don't know what else to say. I learn buy just being thrown into a projects and delivering. Microsoft SQL Server 2012 T-SQL Fundamentals: Itzik Ben-Gan: 9780735658141: Amazon.com: Books

I don't have a database at work to use, I don't have this job that I'm gunning for at the moment. I need to prove my SQL abilities to get it, hence why I want practical applications.

The AdventureWorks samples are few and far between. I've done all of them online, and they're not very advanced. I've done everything on SQLZOO already.

I just purchased that book too, thanks for the recommendation.

• Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good starting place will the the MTA 98-364 book and Head First SQL. After that you can do the 70-461 book which includes its own database for practice. After that you can practice what you have learned on AdventureWorks.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    Agreed 461 will teach you a lot potentially.
  • Options
    SheyShey Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you are new to TSQL/Microsoft SQL Server, I absolutely recommend Mark Long's video lectures. You can find a lot of database lectures by Mark Long at Online software tutorials, training CDs, Photoshop Tutorials, Dreamweaver Tutorials, Apple Tutorials from vtc.com. Also, I just found this great material as well by the same instructor Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Certification Training - Exam 70-461 > 08. Advanced SELECT Statements > INTERSECT And EXCEPT: Safari Books Online