Options

When you say you lab...

BinaryheroBinaryhero Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
..what exactly is it that you do?

Are you following a lab manual like the SLM, are you just building stuff and see what happens, or are you practicing certain key technologies within a protocol?

The reason i ask is found that my lab sessions usually doesnt give me much at all..
If im following a guide, theres not much room for creativity whereas if i try to be spontaneous and lab, say eigrp load balancing, i get stuck where my conceptual knowledge ends and thats it.

I dont want it to be that way so please share how you do it and i might find what im doing wrong :)

Comments

• Options
    CodeBlue1914CodeBlue1914 Member Posts: 19 ■■□□□□□□□□
    When I was studying for the exams, I used the labs on gns3vault.com.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!!
  • Options
    I will try them out and see if they fit me :)
    thanks!
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used the SLM a lot. When I lab those scenarios I first try to implement it without the direction of the instructions to see if I can do it from memory. I get a bit more from it by purposefully breaking something to see what happens, adding additional configs like more access lists, more routers, more interfaces etc to gain a deeper understanding.

I also use the Simplified lab material in the back of the Simplified series. Great stuff!

Other resources you can find as the previously mentioned gns3vault, router gods, 101 CCNP labs, and lab the same scenarios you find in the reading material too, its best to try some of it out from the book examples if they material is a bit hazy.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    The benefit of following a particular lab manual is that you don't risk missing particular commands or concepts, assuming that the manual actually covers all the topics that you are expected to know. However, you do waste a lot of time configuring the basics over and over. You know how to configure the basics of OSPF and EIGRP, but you still need to do it (again) to get to the point of the lab in question. You could argue that it helps you increase your speed and accuracy or something like that, but to me, it just seems like a waste of time. Still, the Route SLM is probably where you want to start, if for no other reason than it being fairly simple and free. Though, arguably, the sims on the exams aren't any harder than what you would find in that book.

Once you've worked your way through the SLM and the FLG, I would look at reinforcing certain challenging topics, either by exploring other lab manuals (for example, 101 CCNP Labs), or by building your own custom scenarios. For example, you might be very comfortable with most EIGRP topics except authentication and how to roll over to a new set of keys. In that case, it makes no sense to spend 30 minutes configuring ip addresses and typing network x.x.x.x. Instead, you would reuse some existing preconfigured topology and specifically configure key chains and start times, etc. GNS3 is great for this.

You'll also discover that particular chapters in the FLG are very suitable for working with a set of routers while you read and take notes. Iirc, the redistribution chapter is one long configuration exercise, exploring the potential pitfalls, etc. Instead of just skimming the configuration examples, you could try them out for yourself. Instead of just reading about the OSPF state machine, use a couple of routers and explore it yourself with the debug commands. Does a totally stubby are really filter type 3 LSAs? Check the database before and after, etc. You get the point. This will make it a lot easier to memorize the details of the protocols.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I did the SLM but I found the Labs good for basics but too easy. 101 CCNP Labs the route section made me realize I had to study policies a lot more but we're good Labs.

I would make my own Labs mostly if I wanted to see how something worked like LSAs.

What fredrikjj said I can't put it any better.
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I feel SLM is a good start but definitely venture out. I am loving the back of the Simplified book, 200 pages of labs!
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your great imput!
    I feel more confident in what i need to do in order to make my labbing sessions more fruitful :)
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One option is 101 CCNP Labs. All of this author's books (101 CCNA Labs, 101 CCNP Labs, The Simplified Series of Exam Guides) seem to be $5 for the Kindle Edition. My only complaint is that his customer service skills could use some work (I joined his website to get access to the additional material).
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've used 101 CCNP Labs, SLM, and also the free CCNP lab workbook from INE. All a great to work through. I also lab topics that I might not understand to well. Those kind of labs usually aren't very long or detailed. Basically I just do them to reiterate what I just read.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    I lab for myself, don't follow any guide. I remember specifically doing VPN labs, I would tweak and fiddle with DAP and CSD and logon to the VPN and verify restrictions and or access. Mess with the clientless page, plugins etc.

Just the things I hadn't messed with before, that's kinda how I play with them. That was for studying for the exam/s though.

In the real world, I will lab up particular solutions to client issues and get a lot of out of those.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    I would also recommend making your own labs once you feel that you have a good understanding of the technology. This is my personal checkbox, it tells me if I need to keep studying or just review.

@Flo0z,

C'mon man, knockout that CCNP already.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Another thing I always did and still do is ask myself "Do I know how route-maps work and what can be done with them?" (Route Maps as an example)

If I cannot answer myself clearly then I will go lab up that specific scenario. I have done that a lot, want to know what sucks? I still am vague on sooooo many things yet so little time to lab them all up. *cries*
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would also recommend making your own labs once you feel that you have a good understanding of the technology. This is my personal checkbox, it tells me if I need to keep studying or just review.

@Flo0z,

C'mon man, knockout that CCNP already.

haha I plan too. I just started a new gig and it literally has taken up all my free time. Honestly bringing myself up to speed in my new environment is much more important then passing the cert right now. Hopefully I ll have it knocked out by the end of the month.