Options

What can I do to show an interviewer that I have a good starting grasp of MS SQL?

coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
Background: I have a few entry-level sysadmin certs and 3 years helpdesk experience, almost done with my four-year MIS degree. Age 24 in the greater NYC area.

I had a phone interview with a software development company and passed a phone screening concerning my candidate qualities/attitude/motivation/drive. The position title is 'Software Support Engineer'. The position mentioned is looking for:
  • Proven consultative solution development skills with ability to incorporate; software, professional services and hardware requirements
  • Ability to build and expand relationships with customer contacts
  • Adept in public speaking, presentations and seminars
  • Technically literate, with an aptitude to understand, present and position our solutions to both customers and resellers
  • Highly organized with ability to manage multiple projects
  • Experience in a customer facing, technical support or training role
  • Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Communicating in clear, grammatically correct conversational English is a required skill
  • Expert database (SQL) skills, specifically SQL Server
  • Knowledge of Windows platform infrastructure (ASP.Net, IIS, Message Queuing, Authentication)

I interviewed with the CTO who decided to bring me in for a second interview. I am stoked! He mentioned this job would require SQL knowledge. He is aware that I have no knowledge and advised me that for the right candidate they would train me on everything I need to know.

What I Did: So I went and partitioned 100gb of my harddrive. Installed MS Server 2012 R2. Installed SQL Server Management Studio. Uploaded several large databases and begun querying. Using select, advanced select commands, aggregate functions, inner and outer joins, etc. I've gone through all the exercises successfully multiple times (even the 'hard' questions) on www.SQLZOO.net and www.sqlishard.com. I've used the entire memrise course for SQL (SQL - Memrise) and downloaded a few books in PDF/Kindle format. All in all, I've spent about 25-30 hours in the last three days learning this skill and trying to get a great handle on it.

The interview is in 2 days and I want to totally wow my to-be employer by showing him that I've gone the extra mile and learned a brand new skill with efficiency to fit his company needs.

How can I demonstrate my skills to this new possible employer? Asking for access to his database and tables seems...odd. Is there a good project I can make or a video I should author and upload to youtube to demonstrate my new proficiency? Any suggestions? As a hiring manager...what questions would you ask an entry-level SQL user?
Thanks all.
System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure

Comments

• Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd just tell them exactly what you did in a few days. I mean you spent every waking moment learning exactly what they wanted, I'd be very impressed if someone told me that on the 2nd interview. I don't think I would try to make a video or anything, you'd be asking them to leave the interview, go back to their desk, watch a video with you standing right there, etc, sounds awkward.
  • Options
    Britany47Britany47 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Some writers make it difficult to understand the point they’re trying to get across. You, the other hand have made your points clear, concise and interesting.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you have a smart phone, you could show them this thread...just a thought. Or, if you have a LinkedIn account, you could share this thread or start a new one detailing what you've done. Then, if the hiring manager is also on LinkedIn, they would be able to see it. Again, just a thought.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me