Stuppored's 70-410 Exam Journey

StupporedStuppored Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi. I have the next 8 days off for stay at home vacation to study my butt off with EXAM 70-410. I purchased the MCSA exam package to save myself $22 an exam.

I've got Microsoft Official exam course and lab manual. I just picked up the Transcender 70-410 30-day website access to help me through this.

Any other recommended studying materials or links, please send them to me. I have alot of reading to do and review. I understand Powershell is a big deal.. and I have CBT nuggets for powershell 3.0 to review :D

Any tips/studying advice/links would be greatly appreciated. I hope to write this exam by DECEMBER 22.. giving me a few more days to write before the exam changes in January covering R2 should I happen to fail.

I had to type this in notepad instead of on the techexams website.. lol Microsoft IE isn't working very well at letting me type characters into the text box hah. I'll try this in Chrome next time I login.

Comments

• StupporedStuppored Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lol does anyone have a TRANSCENDER OFFER CODE I can use?

Does anyone here have SKYPE that has passed the 70-410 that I could talk to during the week should I become stumped? I'd really like to network with people here.. great support base!

Please feel free to add me to skype:

VirtualCrueltyCurrency
  • MSSoftieMSSoftie Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Stuppored - First, try running this website in compatibility mode. I found my problems typing go away after I did that. Don't go crazy on the powershell formatting or scripting. You will only need to know single line commands. Most of the cmdt you can figure out by carefully reading the names. Check out Asif's page for some great TechNet links.
  • jsojso Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hmm. I'm still working my way through the material, but the CBT powershell courses are much more about how to program powershell, then what commands you need to type to do things. Eg, powershell has its ability to chain things together, where one command can be piped to another and then redirect that to a file. So far I think 70-410 seems to just want you to know that add-windowsfeature is what you need to type, rather than add-windowsprogram.

I may be wrong - let you know after I pass icon_smile.gif

Whats bugging me is that I usually grab one way to do it and learn that. Microsoft seems to want you to know all the commands to change the systems hostname/ip address/core->gui mode.
    JSO is correct about the powershell. You will want to know commands for configuring networking, adding or removing a few key features and the like. You will NOT need to know how to do multiline scripting or that type of thing. Again, if you look at the cmdt name carefully, you can usually determine what it does in a basic sense. It saves you from complete memorization of all the commands. That said, try to know some of the standard ones in networking and going from core to gui modes. I have also run into the same thing that JSO describes. I know certain ways to accomplish a task but Microsoft does like to test you on knowing a variety of ways to do the same thing. I have looked at a question and thought to myself that the answer wasn't there but then realize that they are doing it a different way.
    Please feel free to add me to skype:

VirtualCrueltyCurrency

I really want people I can talk to about this craft. Please do add me :D
    Can someone please tell me where in this book: http://www.amazon.ca/70-410-Installing-Configuring-Windows-Server/dp/1118511077/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1386882263&sr=1-2&keywords=70-410
    I can find the answers to the knowledge assessments at the end of each lesson? I really would like to validate my answers without having to check back every single time.
    I actually have that book. It is designed (if it is the book I believe it is) to be used by a student in a classroom setting. They also sell a trainer's manual for certified Microsoft partners.
    Hmmph... with the cost of these books, you'd think they'd include simple ABCDE answers to the questions.

Do you feel this book better prepares you than a Sybex or other book?
    Not a huge fan of the Sybex book only because it is information for all three exams mixed together. I like to have what I need for the exam I am taking and move on from there but my focus when I study for an exam is THAT exam. I do know that I need to know it all regardless but I don't want to study that way. That said, I own the Sybex book and use it for reference from time to time. I did like the MS Press exam ref and training guides. I thought the combination of the two served me well on the exam.