Options

I got a Help Desk Interview Wednesday.

Minimum Requirements:
2+ years experience as Help Desk Support on Microsoft products.
DNS Knowledge, A+ or N+ certification desired.
Schedule: must be flexible.
1 Full Time
2 Part Time (per diem) some weekends may be required

[h=1]Description[/h]

Entry level IT Service Desk
  • Come and be part of this exciting Electronic Medical Record Implementation.
  • Experience with call tracking software; preferable Heat.
  • Experience with call tracking software; preferable Heat.
  • Experience using Microsoft Office Suite, Windows XP and Active Directory.
  • The ideal candidates will have excellent interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written).
  • Ability to work independently and within a team environment. Ability to multitask.
  • Identifies root causes of issues, determines course of action, resolves issues and/or escalates for final resolution in a timely manner.
  • Monitors open call issues and escalates to appropriate IT resources.
  • Enters all calls into the Call Tracking System with detailed problem information and steps taken to attempt resolution. Assigns unresolved calls to appropriate resources.
  • Provides follow up, communicates resolutions, issues and delays to users in a timely manner.
  • Demonstrates basic competency levels in supported applications: Windows, Care Manager, Kronos, Order Entry, Lawson, Star, Physician Portal, etc. Demonstrates competency in learning about the most common hardware issues. Applies Knowledge received from in-services, classes, seminars, etc.
  • Provides hardware and software support as needed.
  • Delivers on commitments to user community within timeframes established by policy and procedure guidelines.
  • Answers phones in a timely, courteous and professional manner

I dont have experience but I just got my A+ a few months back. I also volunteered here at this hospital. I currently work here at another department. What questions might they ask?

1776 is the answer to 1984!

Comments

• Options
    Theegg911Theegg911 Member Posts: 124
    They may ask about if you have goals. Like when do you plan on getting Microsoft certified or Network+. They want to hear that you have goals and more importantly they will monitor and see if you can do what you say you will do. Meaning if you say you will get MCP or Net+ in 3 months, they will touch base with you or look at your credentials/knowledge and see if you are making progress.

They will also ask how you will act in a team environment. Questions like, how do you act in a diverse environment, or if another coworker has a problem then how do you approach or help them. They may ask what you will do if you are tasked with alot of items but do not have time to complete them, you will ask your coworkers and delegate some of the work if available. Or if your boss tasks you with an item and you are working with a customer, who comes first? (In a real world business, the customer will come first.)

They may ask if you are comfortable with after hours work and weekend work (usually if you are salary). Of course your answer will be yes if you want the role :P

They may ask what can you contribute to the company. This is usually a difficult question. You will want to do research on the company and do some preliminary digging at the beginning of the interview. Don't be obvious but ask things like how busy they stay and ask why they are filling the help desk role. More than likely they are too busy and need the help. So your answer will be more of "I will assist with getting ticket/call responses to a better number and will contribute to the overall bottom line of the service desk/help desk team." Meaning you will get more certified and knowledgeable which will overall help the team as you become more efficient.

In your free time, always do research and ask questions. Make sure to take notes. For Net+, professor messer has free cert videos: Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training

As far as technical questions, brush up on how DHCP and DNS work. What the difference between an IPv4 and IPv6. Know when to use Ping and Tracert. Commonly, alot of people do not know how to activate Windows and MS Office. So know those things. Know how to create a user in Active Directory and an Exchange Mailbox. Know how to join a computer to the domain. Know what info is displayed in IPConfig. Know how to troubleshoot printing issues (ask if it is a network or local printer. If network, try to ping it from the workstation. Check print queue. Reboot printer or workstation, etc)

At least have an idea of all of that. As that is the basic and more common helpdesk stuff.

Hope this helps!!!
    Next Goal: Office 365 70-346 (Scheduled for 9/25)
  • Options
    grave_diggergrave_digger Member Posts: 127
    Well thanks for replying i did everything you said and it was worth it. He asked me about DNS, HTTP, FTP, VPN, DHCP and I couldn't explain vpn. I tolled him that getting this postion would allow me to hone my skills verbally because it's easy showing someone in person how to fix something but over the phone its more complex allowing growth in verbal skills. I asked him what are the duties through the day and he said that its no hands on and pure vocal communication with the client/user.

We ran over two scenerios about a printers not working and also if a user is logged in but cant get his files from the network.

I hope I get it for the sake of experience. Its 12 bucks starting off from what I heard. I think they should at least start at 13. The University of Miami starts help desk at 15.38 a hour.
  • Options
    Yes. What they want to hear is if you don't have the answer, how will you figure it out? Tell them you will consult with your coworkers as well as search the internet (if available) to figure out solutions to the error or problem. They want to know you know how to use your resources.
  • Options
    I wont hear back till jan.
  • Options
    Bryan0530Bryan0530 Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Keep applying, I know how hard it is be stuck thinking about one job, but in my case I made mistakes by waiting for their response and when I didnt get the job i would be extremely disappointed. the more you apply the more opportunites you give yourself. I was given a job without experience not to long ago, I was hired because I had "some knowledge"... and like grave digger said, I showed that I would use my references (or be a go getter), but most importantly the desire to learn and grow. good luck
  • Options
    Bryan0530 wrote: »
    Keep applying, I know how hard it is be stuck thinking about one job, but in my case I made mistakes by waiting for their response and when I didnt get the job i would be extremely disappointed. the more you apply the more opportunites you give yourself. I was given a job without experience not to long ago, I was hired because I had "some knowledge"... and like grave digger said, I showed that I would use my references (or be a go getter), but most importantly the desire to learn and grow. good luck

yeah I been doing that. I keep applying but I havent gotten any solid feedback.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    Is this for a hospital? I do basically everything in that job description and I make 23 an hr w/ benefits, they are totally ripping you off, but its experience (we use Kronos and lawson) lol. Just shocked how much they are low bawling you
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    gbdavidx wrote: »
    Is this for a hospital? I do basically everything in that job description and I make 23 an hr w/ benefits, they are totally ripping you off, but its experience (we use Kronos and lawson) lol. Just shocked how much they are low bawling you

You are in California and he is in Florida...the COL is different so you can't compare at the flat dollar rate.
  • Options
    edzyyyedzyyy Member Posts: 30 ■□□□□□□□□□
    lsud00d wrote: »
    You are in California and he is in Florida...the COL is different so you can't compare at the flat dollar rate.

12 vs 23 is a noticeable difference, though.

2+ years of experience for 12 bucks is a low ball, IMO.
  • Options
    edzyyy wrote: »
    12 vs 23 is a noticeable difference, though.

2+ years of experience for 12 bucks is a low ball, IMO.
    Well if you do have experience then you can ask for more. I just said that it was 12 bucks with little experience. But then again University of Miami offers 15.38 starting at a help desk.
  • Options
    I didnt get the job!!!!! Yeah!!!
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    Why not? What did they ask, and do you feel like you gave good answers?
  • Options
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    Why not? What did they ask, and do you feel like you gave good answers?
    Well they said that they had to interview more people so they chose some one with more experience from outside the company. So phuck this place!
  • Options
    edicwhunedicwhun Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You win some, you lose some, man. You won't get every job you apply for. Don't be discouraged, just keep up with the studying and keep applying elsewhere (if you're not happy in your current position).
  • Options
    Also, take this chance to work towards a Microsoft Exam to earn the MCP title or Network+ cert.
  • Options
    SocomSocom Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure how Miami is but alot of places in DC will just take you with an A+ and give you a tier 1 role where you are routing tickets, doing password resets and software installs and whatever else you are comfertable handling for about $10-16/hr
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not sure what your current job situation is, but they were underpaying you a bit so I'm sure you can find something better.