Options

Contracting Conundrum

KeroseenKeroseen Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hoping to solicit some advice on the following:

I'm currently a sub-contractor to a prime who supports an on-site customer. The "statement of work" that my company provided is very specific on the scope and the work that I should be performing. Unfortunately, I find that as the contract with the prime and the customer is nearing the end of its life, I've been asked to do more and more work that falls outside of the scope of the contract by both the prime contractor and the on-site customer.

The initial response from my management was just to go along with their requests, because we want to appear as though we're "team players" as the prime contract comes up for rebid. I genuinely want to be a team player, but at the same time I'm not earning any additional compensation for the extra work performed at the request of customer, or the prime and I'm starting to feel burnt out because I'm being tasked by three different bosses (my management, prime management, and customer management).

Anyone been in similar circumstances? What's an acceptable way to say, "Sorry, out of scope..." without sounding like I'm not a team player?

Comments

• Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Hrm.

I have been in a similar situation. I expressed my dissatisfaction by not renewing with them. :)

If you say "sorry, out of scope..." then you are NOT a team player.

Of course, based on what you're saying, the work environment has changed, and you appear to be getting a certain level of frustration from it all.

Please don't burn yourself out trying to please your three bosses :)

Try to look at this from the positive side: by going above and beyond in your work, you may be able to get some resume bullets.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    instant000 wrote: »
    Hrm.

I have been in a similar situation. I expressed my dissatisfaction by not renewing with them. :)

If you say "sorry, out of scope..." then you are NOT a team player.

Of course, based on what you're saying, the work environment has changed, and you appear to be getting a certain level of frustration from it all.

Please don't burn yourself out trying to please your three bosses :)

Try to look at this from the positive side: by going above and beyond in your work, you may be able to get some resume bullets.

i agree with Lewis... Outside of scope issues, it can quickly become a liability issue if you do something out of scope that has negative consequences...
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    colemic wrote: »
    i agree with Lewis... Outside of scope issues, it can quickly become a liability issue if you do something out of scope that has negative consequences...

"If you touch it, you own it."
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    Keroseen:

Why are you coming on here with such a flammable topic?

(See what I did there?)

Anyway, my advice is to stick to your commitment, and just not renew with them. If it is too much for you to deal with, then you need to look for new opportunities and leave while they still want you there, rather than wait until your work falters due to lack of motivation.

Just to keep it positive, you can look at it as an opportunity to prove that you are a more valuable team member, who goes "above and beyond."

Of course, what is being stretched to one person is being stressed to another :)

Hope this helps!