Options

Changing Degree (junior in college)

NoobITNoobIT Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys! I'm a physics major that was going to apply to Medical School next year, but really don't want to become a doctor anymore. Having little to no experience in the IT field, how difficult would it be to change my career path? I had near perfect SAT scores in high school if that means anything. I did see the school WGU pop up on Reddit when I searched, but a certification is required to gain admission. Which would be the easiest certification for an IT newbie? Any tips and advice would be wonderful, thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Before changing gears like that, please answer a question or two. Why IT? What about it interests you? What makes you want to **** your Physics degree for an IT degree?

Answers to these questions will make it easier for us to advise you. I am sure that others will have more questions to ask, in order to drill down deeper.

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    stryder144 wrote: »
    Before changing gears like that, please answer a question or two. Why IT? What about it interests you? What makes you want to **** your Physics degree for an IT degree?

Answers to these questions will make it easier for us to advise you. I am sure that others will have more questions to ask, in order to drill down deeper.

Cheers

Well honestly, making good money in physics takes long years and even at the PhD level, the pay isn't great. The opportunity cost of studying so many more years, while paying a lot for graduate school and ending up with an income that is lower than expected, is what turns me off. Most physicists love their jobs so much that that is exactly what drove them to that stage; I simply majored in Physics because I enjoyed it and wanted to use my degree in case I got turned off by Medical School. Which brings me to my next point..

I have two older siblings that are almost doctors and both of my parents are doctors. I was kind of unconsciously nudged in that direction from a young age. Now I can see how incompatible I am with Medicine: endless years of studying, long hours, blood (can't stand it), and Obamacare curbing incomes in the coming years.

IT is something that has a plethora of fields, good income, and very high job satisfaction. [FONT=arial, sans-serif]I know a lot more about computers than an average dude and I have a strong desire to fully understand the devices that literally run the world (and will even more in the future). Plus, a lot of my friends are in the field.[/FONT]
  • Options
    Well thought out reasons. Indeed, the opportunity costs can be much lower in IT, at least initially.

Here are some things I've come across since I did a career change into IT:

1. Volunteer your time with a non-profit. Which one is up to you, but I'd choose one that interests you. For instance, churches, animal shelters, homeless shelters, etc. This will give you valuable experience. Even if it is just maintaining the computers in an office, it is experience.

2. The easiest one to get is actually a hard one to answer. Do you have extensive knowledge of computer hardware? Then A+ might be the easiest cert to get. I would buy a copy of Upgrading and Repairing PCs as a reference ($40-$60), as it covers a ton of stuff associated with the A+ cert. Get a good A+ manual, such as one by Microsoft Press or the Michael Meyers All-in-One book.

Just remember that CompTIA certs are entry-level, which some people look down upon. Ultimately, I look at the CompTIA certs as ways to inexpensively explore different technologies that impact IT. As they say, YMMV.

3. Blog about your journey from Physics to IT. Post it to LinkedIn, Facebook, what have you. That will serve as a way to introduce yourself to the IT world and help your future employer see that, while you don't have experience, you have demonstrated your enthusiasm and desire to learn. You'd be amazed at how many people will give you a shot if they think you are teachable and curious. Just try to use spell check, grammar check, and don't use abbreviations that one would expect to see in a text message.

4. If you haven't learned how to communicate, on paper and face-to-face, I suggest joining Toastmasters and maybe taking a few extra writing courses. You'd be amazed at how much of an impression your communication skills can have on a future employer, positively or negatively. Try to make it as positive as possible by developing those skills. Once you've got those skills, continue to hone them.

I will close for now and allow others to chime in. The members here have a lot of valuable experience, which backs up their advice. Heck, some have actually authored go-to books for several IT certifications. As such, take the time to listen and research and you will find the best path for you.

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

• Options
    Thanks. I only want an easy certification so I can start at WGU as soon as possible. If possible, I would try to graduate within two years.

Of the certs that WGU accepts, I read that the CIW v5 Foundations certification is the easiest. I do know a lot about computer hardware, but apparently the A+ exam takes a very long time to study for, especially for an IT noob.

What kind of entry level jobs can I get along my journey? I would like to get some work experience before I actually graduate.
  • Options
    You could try Best Buy (Geek Squad). Often they want A+, but not everyone who works in GS has one. If you explain to the store GM or the GS DCI what you are trying to accomplish, they might be willing to give you a shot. Also, go find your University computer lab and see if you can intern or hang out or what not.

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would take your time and probably start with the A+ certification.
    Since you have done some college you already know it's better to take your time and make the right choice.

As for how hard it is to switch into IT. It sounds a lot like you are starting your first career in whatever field you choose. So I don't think that should be a big consideration at this time. Just make sure if you are going to change you plans that you like the direction you are headed.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well - I have to say/warn you. If you don't like endless years of studying and long hours - IT really isn't the ideal career for you if you're looking to make good money. Most of us start off in help desk/desktop support, then grow from there. I suggest you take a real hard look at what you really want to do, not just chasing dollar signs.

That said, I'm going to go against the grain and say don't get an A+ certification. I'm curious to your current level of computer knowledge, and where you think you'd like to end up doing in the IT field before I'd suggest a certification.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    My recommendation is to finish your degree and work on IT certifications. What your degree is in doesn't hold much wait in IT unless it's a BS in Computer Science. What HR cares about is that you simply have a degree. Don't add more years of college and burn more holes in your wallet.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would consider moving my major to computer science with a high SAT score like that you would most likely do well. That right there should be enough to get you into a solid position. A lot of IT professionals don't have a CS degree which would be at your advantage. That alone would give you a HUGE leg up, more so that any certification. I wouldn't worry about certifications at the moment. Honestly with a near perfect SAT score try to get into the best CS program you can. That is a gift most people don't have. Don't waste it on a average degree go for the heavy hitter if you can. That alone can get you into a solid position (trust me on this). It's what most good fortune 500 companies want from their employees. You can avoid the dreadful MSP route altogether.

If you are less than 15 hours from graduating with a Physics degree I may consider finishing that out and looking into a Master CS program. I wouldn't recommend this for most people but individuals with significantly higher IQ's than the norm should not waste that gift and go for the big boy degree.

HTH
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    If you had not started college, going to WGU might not be a bad idea. Since you're already in your junior year at another institution I would finish what you started. It may sound strange coming from the medical field where there's probably a high value placed on higher education. In the IT world experience trumps formal education. For example in the job I currently hold my boss told me long after I was hired that another candidate and I had a very a similar skill-set. Apparently our IT knowledge, drive to learn, personality etc were very similar and they liked us both. The only thing that separated us was I had a bachelors degree and he did not. What the degree was in meant nothing, it was just a check box for the team hiring me.

You're a junior, I'd finish up the degree and learn IT on the side. Figure out if it's really a field you want to be in so you don't waste more time and money.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    krjay Wow really good advice. I agree if you are close to graduating get your degree. Physics is a very prestigous degree it's not like you are getting your degree in tourism or sociology.
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    Changing majors will help you out initially but not by much. Degrees do not guarantee success and employers know this. They want someone with experience, which means that you will have to work your way up from the bottom (most likely) and prove yourself. When I first started working in IT, my Father-in-law told me to first get certifications, then a job, then a degree. In that order. I followed his advice some years ago and it has worked out great so far. Since you are already in school, I would tell you to finish your degree, while obtaining certifications, all while applying for internships or entry level positions.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Since you are a junior in college, finish the Physics degree, if possible pick up a CS minor. Physics and math are two degrees that are close to IT/CS degrees that a lot people will consider them as technical degrees. The CS minor at my first school in addition to a couple of CS classes required Physics I & II and some calc classes which you probably already have. If you can afford to stick around, then pick up the CS major.

Get an internship or something that will give you experience.

This is from the late 90s but my situation was similar to yours. I was a chemistry major and wanted to get a master degree so I could work for a pharmaceutical company doing research. By the time I was a junior, I know I didn't want to work in Chemistry and was moving towards the computer field. I added the CS minor and was able to get an internship at the schools helpdesk. Unfortunately, I was not able to finish my degree, but the classes I had taken and the internship helped me get a job as a Junior Server Admin and I went from there. Not completing the degree slowed me down, but I am doing well.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Many great recommendations here. A friend of mine told me that I should become a software engineer when I confided in him today. Would I still have to get a help desk job if I go that route?
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    Funny you mention that. A close friend of mine graduated with a degree in Physics and got hired as a programmer right after graduation. He has been doing that for several years and is now a Software Engineer/Project Manager. You would not be able to be a Software Engineer straight after graduation (maybe in title but not in responsibility) but you can start as an entry level programmer and move your way up.

Ultimately, it comes down to what you want to do. IT is extremely broad and there are niches and positions for all types of individuals. I decided that I did not want to be a programmer after I took my first programming class in college, so I chose networking and security.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    NoobIT wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Many great recommendations here. A friend of mine told me that I should become a software engineer when I confided in him today. Would I still have to get a help desk job if I go that route?

I met a guy who runs (ran, its been a few years he could have moved on) the security portion of a regional bank. We spoke at great length about all sorts of IT things, but the one that pertains to you is that he choose physics/math majors as the candidates he most likes to see fresh our of college. They simply have the right mindset and way of thinking he said, it made a difference in quality.