Options

NAS migration over network

FrankGuthrieFrankGuthrie Member Posts: 245
Hi guys,

I'm working as a junior engineer and was tasked with coming up with a Technical Design for a data migration for a customer of us, which needs their data migrated from an old NAS box to a new one.

Now I'm totally unprepared for this task but I am seeing this as an opportunity, although I don't know where to start.

I asked the NAS guys what the IP adresses are of the shares, and the customer has 2 shares which fall in separate VLAN's.I have identified those VLAN's, let call those VLAN's 123 and 234.

I've added a basic network attachment of how the NAS is connected to the network if this is helpful. Now I'm wondering if I create a path from the customer environment to the new NAS environment with the same VLAN (123 and 234) if the NAS admins will be able to copy the data to the new NAS environment.

So I have 2 questions:
1. For the NAS admins to copy the data to the new NAS boxes, do it need to stretch the same old VLAN's to the new environment?
2. Can I use the same VLAN when the data is copied, or do I need to use a new IP range/VLAN for the data when it has been copied to the new location?

Any has any ideas if I'm going in the right direction. I feel like this is going over my head a bit. What do I need to configure for the NAS guys to copy the data from 1 NAS box to antoher NAS box.

Comments