Options

70-462 Book revisited

j-manj-man Member Posts: 143
Has anyone completed this book and by completed I mean completed all of the end of lesson tasks and suggested practices?

I am trying to complete Lesson 1 Chapter 7 on mirroring and none of the instances on any of the servers will start with the exception of the auditing instance on SQL-A. I'm wondering if anyone else experienced the same issues?

Is there another alternative to this book? I've never been this pissed off at a study guide before.

Comments

• Options
    knownheroknownhero Member Posts: 450
    You might want to check that you can connect to the instance via SSMS first. If you can not, then you will have to start the service in the Admin tools > services.

Take a look there and report back.
    70-410 [x] 70-411 [x] 70-462[x] 70-331[x] 70-332[x]
    MCSE - SharePoint 2013 :thumbup:

Road map 2017: JavaScript and modern web development

• Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What user account are you using for sql server? Is the master database available in the correct location? You may need to try some of the command line arguments.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    I couldn't start the SQL Server Service on any of the servers.

The account that the SQL Service was using is the default NT Service\MSSQLSERVER or MSSQL${InstanceName}. None of them would start. Received a time out error but if I changed them to a Local System, the service would start fine. The only SQL Server service that would start up was for the Auditing database that was created in Chapter 6 lesson 3.

I have a funny feeling it was due to a group policy rule. The book tells you to add to allow a specific domain account the Log On As A Service right in that specific exercise.

I'm running through the practice steps at the end of each chapter, skipping chapter 6 lesson 3, so I can continue labbing along with the book. Repetition is a great learning tool. Instance installations in Virtual Box take forever.

Have either of you gone step-by-step through this book?
  • Options
    J-man,

Personally Id not use default accounts to run instances. I would create a domain user account give it limited permissions and use that to run the instance. But that is just me!

We've currently have this issue at work where a service password would randomly just stop working and we'd have to re-enter it.

Anyway. That's why you're unable to connect to the instances while trying to Mirror.

• Options
  • Options
    J-Man,

Your issue fixed?

• Options
    In a way. I started everything from scratch which I like because I'm really getting the command line stuff down. I completely agreed with your post about the domain user account to run SQL services but the book doesn't go that route so I'm configuring it the way they want because each chapter builds on earlier ones so I don't want to start configuring things like I would in the wild.