Options

Job prospects for CCNA

Atmosphere1991Atmosphere1991 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,
I'm new here, but I will be sitting my ccent this month sometime(as soon as my discount voucher from netacad comes through.) I plan on finishing the ccna at the beginning of this summer. I'm 22, no degree yet, but I am actively pursuing an AAS in Network Administration at a respect CC. I live in the Saint Louis area, and wondering what kind of job opportunities if any I might have a shot at.
I have no IT experience, I managed a restaurant for a couple years after high school. I recently demoted myself to a server, to make time for school. It seems no one will even look at you without a bachelors. Do you guys think I would have a shot at something like a help desk even?

Comments

• Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd say you have a shot at help desk type work. Interview well and show a willingness to learn and be a team player.

Get your foot in the door and then work up from there.

Dont fall into that mindset of thinking that a CCNA is the golden ticket and end all for your job search.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    The bachelor's looks nice. I won't lie and wish I had one many days as it is a sign of dedication to something but I have an AAS like what you are working towards.

The CCNA will help you get a help desk or NOC job. Like above said it isn't a golden ticket but it also beats nothing. Even if they want a bachelor's still apply for it and if you don't get the job just keep going and keep applying and keep studying.

Do you want to go into networking specifically or a hybrid role? (like where you manage servers also) because I would recommend doing the windows 7 cert if you want to do the hybrid role after the ccna if you have any troubles finding work.
  • Options
    DirtySouthDirtySouth Member Posts: 314 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It sounds like you're moving in the right direction for sure. Being in a large city like St. Louis is good because there are going to be many large company's with sophisticated helpdesk departments. The larger company's will typically have well-trained helpdesk personnel and sometimes a separate Network Operations Center (NOC). With an AAS and a CCNA, I think you would have a very good opportunity to get your foot in there and once you're in, the sky is the limit if they like you. I'm a Network Engineer now and I tell anyone who asks me that helpdesk is one of the best ways to get into IT and progress. On a side note, an A+ cert probably wouldn't hurt either just to get your resume more to the top of the pile.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I recommend looking for an entry level helpdesk/desktop job. During that time you should also be continuing with your studies and within a year you can most likely land yourself in a networking role.
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would consider looking at work in a consultant type firm..akin to a smaller version of IBM. The ticket might get you in the door & you'll be able to move to the networking department.
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    I would recommend getting into an IT role even if it's helpdesk in a company that will let move up the ladder. I remember I did around 3 months of Helpdesk then I got into a server admin position role for a couple of months to finally end up in networking.

Good luck
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't forget to look for NOC openings too. My first gig was in St Louis and with only my CCNA and was at a NOC downtown.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    Atmosphere1991Atmosphere1991 Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the input guys, definite confidence boost, knowing that I'm moving in the right direction and all. I'm looking for any IT job really, I know how to work hard and understand that I will have to work my way up. Over the summer I will probably do my A+. Thanks again
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just an A+, a HSD and a good showing in an interview will get you a help desk job... And the real golden ticket: experience.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In my opinion you are on the right track. Definitely keep going with the self study until you land a good job. I wouldn't go pass the CCNA unless you had at least 2 yrs experience under your belt.

I'm trying to get any IT Experience at this stage of the game. So now I work for a cable provider supporting phone and internet. Hopefully I will be able to advance with in the company in a more technical role or get a better position in the future.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs