Options

WGU project assessments

W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm pretty close to having all of the objective assessments completed at WGU and will have nothing but gen-ed project assessments left to take along with the security capstone. I'm just wondering if I'm going to find completing these project assessments to be a lot more difficult or time consuming than studying and taking a test. The java projects were pretty easy for me but I had to submit a math project a few times to get it right. Either way, I'm not gonna let them stand in the way of getting my bachelors degree. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    I've done the projects for Java (TXP1/TYP1) and English 1 so far. I got 'em all accepted first try. The mindset I used was "make it good enough, don't try for perfect scores." My first English assignment came back with 4.0s, so I put in a bit less effort on project two, which came back with mostly 4.0 and a few 3.0 scores, so I tried a bit less on project three, and so on. The last paper ended up taking just an hour or two, and passed with a 2.0, a few 3.0s, and a few 4.0s.

Having done that, I've got a good idea what the graders are looking for, and how much effort I should expend on the remaining projects. Writing a 25 page paper seemed a little daunting at first, but I've already written 25 pages of papers in under eight hours. Not sure how fast you've been studying for the classes with tests, but the three performance classes I've done have taken about the same time as my average objective exam class. I'm just getting ready to burn through the Literature, Arts, and Humanities project, hopefully it's a one day affair.

Personally, the hardest part of the performance assessments has been picking a topic to write on :)
  • Options
    Luke1248Luke1248 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Starting WGU on 1/1/2014 in the BS IT-Security track. It's been a very long time since I've taken a college class. Not so worried about the certification assessment's but I am somewhat concerned about the performance assessment. So far, how would you rate your experience at WGU ?
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I wouldn't be too worried. The biggest issue with the math assessment was the wording. There was a particular keyword that they apparently wanted me to use while explaining an answer. I had to have a phone call with the course mentor to get an idea of why they kept marking it wrong and I almost get the impression that the people grading my paper aren't too familiar weren't too familiar with the English language. Either way, you can always talk to the course mentor if you run into any trouble. I'm just going to start asking for help sooner than later if I need it. The gen-ed exams seem to be pretty easy as well. You can pretty much just glance over the topics and read up on the subject online to get a quick overview of what you need to know.