What single book has helped you the most in your career?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
If I had to pick one it would of been John Walkenbach's 101 Ready Macros, this saved my rear early on when I was struggling with some solutions to overcome some nasty data situations. There have been others but you can only pick one and that one had to impacted your career thus far. Not potentially or in the future.

Comments

• FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Network Warrior has helped me out in the workplace more than I have ever expected.
  • cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Seriously though...I would say...
    [h=3]Powershell Deep Dives by Hicks, Siddaway, Grehan and Nikolic[/h]
    This book took me so much further in Powershell than I had ever been before. Further my career just by reading it let alone implementing some practices.

Corey
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The Phoenix Project I think is the one that most helped me. It got me to understand that an IT person needs to understand the business end and is there to help further the business. In my current job I definitely have to balance security, regulation, and protecting the businesses on top of the consumers.

Amazon.com: The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win eBook: Gene Kim, Kevin Behr, George Spafford: Kindle Store
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Routing TCP/IP Vol 1 (AKA The Network Bible)
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Cryptonomicon - got me psyched on IT, esp. sec/encryption/linux again after being burnt out for a few years.
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Tie between 3. Head First SQL, Head First C# and Todd Lammle's CCNA guide.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
    I don't have anything to contribute at this point in my career, but I'm loving this thread. Going to make a list of future reads.
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Even though I didn't continue with networking, for me it's probably the CCNA OCG - Those were the first real tangible skills I had as an IT person and helped springboard me into other things.
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The books that help me relax away from my Job. The first half of "Man's Search for Meaning" is one of the most memorable books I have read. It was during this period I was reading a lot more biography's and Philosophy that my career changes from a helpdesk Bum, to getting my head down and starting to get where knew I should be.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The Cuckoo's Egg, absolutely wonderful book.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Loved that book.
  • NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Loving the recommendations. More please!
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The Book of Five Rings.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    5 months ago, it was Network Warrior but now, I'd definitely say CCNP Route Simplified. It got my feet wet with CCIE-concepts like OER/PFR, EEM applets, etc that I use and really solidified a lot of networking concepts that were harder for me prior to reading it. I loved the book and writing style so much, I ended up buying the CCNP Switch, TSHOOT, ARCH, 101 CCNP Labs, and CCDA Simplified books for reference/further education.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Probably the CCNA books from Odom. While they were relatively simple, they really got my interest in digging into the finer details in networking rather than just configuring things. I already knew how to type 'router ospf' at the CLI, but it really got me going into the internal workings of the protocols.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • LeifAlireLeifAlire Member Posts: 106
    Sybex CISSP 4th Edition, read just that book and passed the CISSP back in 2010.
    2015 Goals: VCP-550 - CISA - 70-417
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Odom's CCNA books did more to give a foundation for data communication than anything else I have read.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Cisco Gateway Gatekeepers. While this book is old, and on 12.4 IOS the concepts of how everything works has gotten me out of hotwater serveral times. To me this book is like the TCP/IP Vol 1 for the voice world. Needs an update, but I HIGHLY recommend this book to any one doing VoIP. H323, MGCP, are still in use. SIP has taken over as the prefered way of doing business, but we are still 5 years out from seeing it be in the majority of deployments.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    CCNP TSHOOT, the most awesome book to guide experienced engineers in maintenance, monitoring and troubleshoot routines.
  • rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    The E Myth Revisited helped me understand business. It's aimed toward small businesses and startups. It's not very technical but I like diving into the business side of things to help bring value from the IT side.
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!
  • tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Years before I got into IT, I was given a copy of a previous edition of this: Upgrading and Repairing Networks by Mueller, Scott, Ogletree, Terry William, Soper, Mark Edward. (Que, 2006) [Paperback] 5th Edition: Amazon.com: Books Great combination of width, depth, and readability, and a great place to start.

Since I've been in the field, Network Warrior. It's a great meeting point of the hard and soft skills you need.
  • Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Crush It from Gary Vaynerchuk. Basically, if you love something go all in with it and you will be a success. Good if you're looking for motivation and inspiration. It's worth a read.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    IT - Mastering VMware vSphere 5 by Scott Lowe

Life - Thrive! by Alan Weiss
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com