What features would you like to see added to your home router?

NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm currently working on a paper focused around the future of home networking, etc.

As an end user, what types of features would you like to see included in your home router provided by your ISP?

Built-in Network IPS/IDS, IPSec, 802.11 AC, home automation integration, etc?
WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
Start Date: December 2013

Comments

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Built in TOR support so you can bypass client setup. Also, VPN support so everything can tunnel through it.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Integrated Netflow charts and SPAN port
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Running a Cisco ISR2 at home so…nothing! Of course it would be cool if it had environmental probes to monitor / control the temp and relative humidity in my cigar humidor :D
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Console port and CLI/SSH access instead of just a gui.

Interoperability with other vendors routers and AP's....the ability to grab whatever is on sale this week and have it play nice with my existing wireless network right out of the box, with no need for tomato or ddwrt. (<-Dude's dreaming, right?)

I'd really like to have a mesh network at home where I can roam from ap/router to ap/router, just like I can at work. I've got big plans for our big backyard, and connectivity in the upcoming "cabana" out back is among them.
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Built in 10gb switch.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    provided by your ISP?
    Where I live ISP's charge to you rent on home routers and modems so I buy my own and use my own...

I'd like a home router with 8x SFP LAN ports and 2x SFP WAN ports, Wireless (a/b/g/n/ac), 2 USB 3.0 ports
    bundle it with some sfp-ge-t ext or glc-t
    through in some redundant power supplies while your at it
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Web caching proxy for frequently visited websites....a trimmed down version of linux Squid proxy. A small internal 25GB SSD.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)
  • TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    PoE so I don't have to boot up an ASA 5505 to run a couple of phones.
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would add a faster processor to a home modem and use the left-over processor cycles for finding a cure for cancer or SETI@Home (you get to choose). If you multiply the number of modems that are out there and add the small amount of electricity for a faster processor for each modem you end up with one giant human supercomputer - almost like a Botnet network if you will - used for a good cause.
  • PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Might be nice to have a home router with a Google voice feature so you can plug your home phones into it.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • TBev0TBev0 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    5x LED's for both Tx & Rx showing percentage line utilisation so I know when the line is being maxed up or down. Other than that, I like the other suggestions for RA VPN and POE. Also what would be quite cool is a Ubiquiti style software WAC, so you can just plug in additional same vendor AP's around the house and they automatically pick up the right config.