Options

Wifi profile/password issue

SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
Our wifi password here changes every 60 days. The issue I have with this is having to manually change it across many laptops and mobile devices. Users never remember how to do it. And the devices never tell you "your password is suddenly wrong, enter correct one" it just won't work unless you go into the profile in Windows 7 or you Forget/Re-Add the wifi on an iPad.

Thankfully, Meraki (MDM product) lets me manage the Wifi profile of my iPads which it then pushes out. Those users receive that info prior to the meeting via their home or hotel internet. So I have that piece fixed. I would like to be able to do something similar with Windows 7 laptops.

Is there a product out there that would let me centrally manage this? Thanks.
WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???

Comments

• Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    You can script this via GPO or Systems Management Solution of your choice:

First, create the proper SSID/Passphrase on a test laptop and run the following:
    REM Export SSID with passphrase into xml
    netsh wlan export profile name="YOUR_SSID.xml"

REM Delete existing profile
    netsh delete profile name="YOUR_SSID"

REM Import new profile with correct passphrase
    netsh wlan add profile filename="path to xml from first step"

MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    Can you elaborate? Note that none of these laptops connect to our primary network if that is what you're getting at. They are all standalone. The wifi is separate from the primary network and is essentially for mobile devices/guests.
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    Ahh yes. That solution would only work if the laptops were connected to the network/domain for it to happen. You would just make those code snippets two bat files to make them work.

Not sure how you can manage them with them being off the network/domain easily.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    Probably need another cloud solution. All of them do connrect to our Citrix Sharefile account. So even if I had to deliver a batch file and ask them to run it, that might work.
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you got budget...
    What you need is a solution like aruba Clearpass....
  • Options
    thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    I was testing WiFi EAP-TLS using Cisco ISE. What I did was, I created a GPO on my AD server then push this policy to all my test laptops. Therefore, the user does not need to manually install the Wifi profile. You should be able to do the same thing on your network either you use PSK or 802.1X.
    Studying:
    Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
    Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
    Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold