Options

Linux Future Prospects?

jamarchitectjamarchitect Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
I ditched MS after XP, and got out of IT for a number of years, but I've used Linux on my laptop for almost four years now. I really prefer Linux, and I'm really interested in Unix in general, but I wonder, what are the job prospects like for Unix based certifications?

I read somewhere that most (this was at least five years ago) mainframes and servers (something like 85%) are Unix based, but you can't always tell if the info on the net is accurate or not.

Any thoughts on this? Presently, I've after Net+ and CCNA and was considering doing Security+ too. However, Linux remains in the back of my head all the time. Especially since I've writing this on a Linux box.

What does everyone else think?

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    *nix admins are still needed everywhere and likely will be for a long time. You should look into the certs Red Hat has to offer.
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The future is pretty bright in Linux. Lots of jobs and not so many technicians due to the longer learning curve (and it's more difficult than Windows). I think the cloud will really cause rapid growth in Linux.
  • Options
    I've been trying to get friends and relatives to switch to Linux (a rather easy one - Ubuntu), but despite pointing out all the obvious benefits, they simply won't do it.

So I gave up on them. Let them pay out the nose, if they insist. :)

It's good to get feedback on a hunch that Linux is going to keep growing. Even though I'm studying Net+ and am planning on studying CCNA, Linux System Admin is where I'd like to really land.

So, thanks all.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I've been trying to get friends and relatives to switch to Linux (a rather easy one - Ubuntu), but despite pointing out all the obvious benefits, they simply won't do it.

So I gave up on them. Let them pay out the nose, if they insist. :)

It's good to get feedback on a hunch that Linux is going to keep growing. Even though I'm studying Net+ and am planning on studying CCNA, Linux System Admin is where I'd like to really land.

So, thanks all.

I support about 130 linux and unix (HP-UX) servers and no desktops. Even without regular Joe using it on his desktop, Linux is far more pervasive than most people realize.

Funny thing is I see alot of linux use in business justified not by cost savings or how easy it is to administer, but because there is a business need for an application that will only run on linux or unix.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    That's interesting. Could you give an example of an the apps you're talking about?
  • Options
    Swift6Swift6 Member Posts: 268 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I ditched MS after XP, and got out of IT for a number of years, but I've used Linux on my laptop for almost four years now. I really prefer Linux, and I'm really interested in Unix in general, but I wonder, what are the job prospects like for Unix based certifications?

I read somewhere that most (this was at least five years ago) mainframes and servers (something like 85%) are Unix based, but you can't always tell if the info on the net is accurate or not.

Any thoughts on this? Presently, I've after Net+ and CCNA and was considering doing Security+ too. However, Linux remains in the back of my head all the time. Especially since I've writing this on a Linux box.

What does everyone else think?

The cloud is on a rapid growth curve and Linux has a lot to do with it.
    Its more difficult to learn Linux than Windows so if you are good there is tonnes of potential.

Read this article and click on the link that reads 'original cloud operating system'
    Red Hat | Red Hat Announces Availability of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7 Beta

In summary, good Linux skills are in demand. Certainly good to have.
  • Options
    Thanks, I read that. It's very interesting, and you've given me something to think about.

Looks like my hunch was right about Linux being a fertile landscape.
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @jamarchitect

I think Linux was always a fertile landscape but I think it's current "the" OS to know. As pointed out above, Cloud computing will drive it's growth because Linux is cheap. Go over to AWS and compare the cost of a Linux Server with a Windows Server. As people see the real costs of ownership via Cloud vendors they may think "hey, can I use Linux".

Cloud intriques me because I hope it brings Linux to the SMB market. It'll never replace AD or Exchange, but it could replace some of the servers (especially DB's).
  • Options
    I just found this brief 5 page report by Dice and the Linux Foundation. Thought I'd share.