Options

Linkedin

bloodmagexdbloodmagexd Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
HI. Long time Lurker who finally decided to post something for a change. I was thinking about posting a LinkedIn referral page. Long story short, I applied to a internship and was told I needed a LinkedIn page with about 20 people. Instead of randomly sending friend requests to about 7 billion people that I have and will never meet, I decided to narrow it down to 1000. Thanks.

Andrew Mei | LinkedIn

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,035 Admin
    Did the hiring manager say that you needed a LinkedIn page with 20+ links or 20+ recommendations? Links are very easy to get, but recommendations come only from people that have worked with you.

Join the TechExams.Net group at LinkedIn and you'll get more than 20 links easy.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've never heard of a place requiring you to have X amount of LinkedIn connections. That sounds absurd to me
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Is this a joke?
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    FloOz wrote: »
    I've never heard of a place requiring you to have X amount of LinkedIn connections.
    That's why I was thinking it was recommendations instead, but 20 is quite a lot.
  • Options
    cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    That's why I was thinking it was recommendations instead, but 20 is quite a lot.

Seriously....I have been using LinkedIn for years and only have about 10 recommendations on my page. 20 Recs for an internship? Yikes...
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'll send you a request after work. This site is work related, LinkedIn however is social media. :)
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I have a very nice network of professionals on my LinkedIn, including well-known and respected individuals in the IT arena. Yet, I don't have one single recommendation. I would really laugh at the notion of requiring X amount of recommendations for anything. Maybe the company want some exposure? I really can't think of any other valid reason.
  • Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Is this an IT position? I can understand if this is a recruiting position where you use LinkedIn as a recruiting tool, but let's say for an internship that is a supporting role, I don't see how this would be relevant. Even having 20 recommendations on LinkedIn is too much.
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    Thanks for that link JDMurray, I was actually looking for it a day or two ago.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We had to setup and connect with classmates in one of my social media courses in college.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    I'm one of those who really buy into social media.

I once hid my identity behind the internet, but I feel like I can get more value being transparent.
  • Options
    You typically get recommendations on LinkedIn by asking for them from your former and present bosses, colleagues, and co-workers. I get hit up for recs mostly when people are looking for a job. It's usually an I'll-recommend-you-if-you-recommend-me proposition. The write-ups are nice to see, but it's also a social media feature that can be gamed like any other.
  • Options
    bloodmagexdbloodmagexd Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies. Sorry if I made this thread unclear but the program is called TechSF. I applied a few weeks ago and got a auto reply.

Hello and thank you for submitting an application to participate in TechSF! Before we schedule a phone interview (the nextstep in the process), please send me the following if you haven't already done so:
    1. A current Resume
    2. A list of 10 companies that you want to target for your job search. These should be organizations that match your interests (e.g. you use/love their product/service, you like their company culture, you are passionate about their mission, you know friends/family who work there and know it's a good fit for you)
    3. A list of contacts you have at the 10 companies (or as many as possible)
    4. A link to your completed LinkedIn Profile with 20+ contacts and 10+ industry groups (that match your interests and career goals) and invite myself and Patty Leeper (your potential counselor) to connect prior to the interview
    In our interview, we will talk in depth about your career goals and why you think TechSF is a good program for you right now. Please be ready to discuss:

• Your short and longer term career goals and how you know these are a good match for you
    • The positions/roles you are currently targeting
    • Your access to computer technology and what you're currently doing to develop your tech skills (eg; taking classes, on-line tutorials, etc)
    • Your ability and readiness to look for work now

Once we receive your resume and assignments, we will assess them and then contact you for an interview or with a referral. This process can take a while so we appreciate your patience.

Thank you again for your interest in TechSF. We look forward to hearing back from you.

By the way, I managed to get 3 contacts so thanks guys. 17 more to go.
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Join the TechExams.Net group at LinkedIn and you'll get more than 20 links easy.

Anddd joined.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I didn't even know this group existed. Good to know...awaiting approval.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Oh nice. Joining. Joining.... Aaaannnd awaiting approval icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    slotzeroslotzero Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice! Requested to join the LinkedIn group as well.
    WGU BS:IT/SF In Progress...
  • Options
    BGravesBGraves Member Posts: 339
    ^Same as last 4 above, think it's great there is a linkedin group.

I like the recommendations myself, and while I see it's use as a game, I also see it as a way to honestly communicate things about an individual you
    have worked for/with/below.

I have a few IT guys that I've mentored and worked with to help grow and I want people to know they are sharp people that should really be considered for new opportunities and giving a recommendation to them is one way I can express that. I don't know of anyone that actually calls references anymore, my last 3 jobs haven't even asked for any. So I think this can be useful in that respect.

The only bummer about LinkedIn is that almost no one in the military uses it, so hard to get a recommendation on there for your work in the service. /sadface
  • Options
    MCITBoundMCITBound Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've joined the TE LinkedIn Group as well! If it will help you out, feel free to add me if you would like!
    If I gave good advice or was insightful, please add to my reputation!! If you have a LinkedIn account and want a new connection, feel free to add me! If you have any questions, ask! :cool:
  • Options
    @JD aren't most recommendation requested? When you apply to one of the military colleges you must provide recommendations, I highly doubt these recommendations are automatically provided to the candidate.

Personally I think more people should recommend others if they provide them with some help or skill. I had a complete stranger on an Access former literally write the VBA for one of my reports that I was struggling with early on. I offered to paypal him something he said no thanks, I did the next best thing IMO, write him up a recommendation and explained the service he provide me. That to me is called being polite and courtesy, more people should try it.

Anything can be gamed certifications, degrees, work experience etc.

While I don't "endorse" very often I do tag peoples skills in my network if they display competency in that particular skill set(s). Again IMO It's called being polite and recognizing someone's skills. I've done for bosses, peers, members on this forum and members on some other groups I belong too.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I never knew about the LinkedIn group too. I'm in, cool stuff!
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    While I don't "endorse" very often I do tag peoples skills in my network if they display competency in that particular skill set(s). Again IMO It's called being polite and recognizing someone's skills. I've done for bosses, peers, members on this forum and members on some other groups I belong too.

I am in this same boat, I do often tag peoples skills, but I will only write a recommendation on some one I have worked with over a period of time, and only for people that I would be happy to work with again. I don't want hundreds of recommendation on my profile, just 4 or 5 from people I respect and have worked closely with, so if a potential employer does view it, they will see a clean(ish) profile with some personalised recommendations they hopefully feel they can trust.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    N2IT wrote: »
    @JD aren't most recommendation requested? When you apply to one of the military colleges you must provide recommendations, I highly doubt these recommendations are automatically provided to the candidate.
    I'm sure there is the occasional friend, co-worker, colleague, or boss that gives an unsolicited review from feeling that it is deserved.

I think we have about 40 new LinkedIn TE group members because of this thread! :D
  • Options
    Solicited or unsolicited I don't think someone is going to write a recommendation unless they feel the person deserves it.