Options

Question about Active Directory Domain

sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
Is it necessary to register a domain or can i have something like company.com and not have to buy the domain? Also, in what situation would you use a .local domain?

Comments

• Options
    TheNewITGuyTheNewITGuy Member Posts: 169 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No, you dont have to register the domain. .local is just your standard local domain prefix it is not a requirement
  • Options
    EasyMac308EasyMac308 Member Posts: 57 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you're just playing, I generally use a .local domain. If you're a business, you're going to want a real internet domain. They're not super expensive and staking out your territory can prevent issues later.
    Currently Reading: A cereal box
    BS:IT student at WGU - 81/120 CU done as of 6/2016
  • Options
    rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    It's not necessary but I would register it. If your company name is TechExams and you have a website, techexams.net, I would create an AD domain called techexams.com. And also register that domain too.

Just my 2cents.
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It's best practice to use .local (or similiar) for your internal domain, and register a .com (or similair) for your external domain.
  • Options
    rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    It's been best practice for a long time now. I've began seeing some downsides to using .local. One of them is using Lync. In my experience I had issues using .local to get it all working. But that might be because of my lack of knowledge installing Lync ;)
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    If you are using Lync on Office365 I am all too familiar with what you might be running in to. It should work fine on-premise however.
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    From my new studies the common thing to do is corp.domain.com

One of the biggest reasons for this is the change to the intranet registrar. I imagine .local will eventually become an active end to a domain.

Correction:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.local

they reserved .local, however there is some pertinent information in that article.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    sizeonsizeon Member Posts: 321
    Why would you want to register a domain if you are not going to use it as a website?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you are going to use a real TLD domain name, it should be one you own. If someone else registers that name on the public internet, it can create some issues for you if you are using that same domain name because you are only going to authorative for that name within the confines of your internal network. Which might become a problem if your roaming users ever go outside of your network and are using a DNS server that will direct your roaming devices's queries for your domain to someone else's DNS server.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    KB 300684 mentions this:
    We recommend that you register DNS names for the top-most internal and external DNS namespaces with an Internet registrar.
    Bear in mind, however, that this article is written for various communications server products, not Active Directory or Windows. I have not seen any official best practice that suggests a catch-all recommendation for split-brain DNS configuration with regards to AD. Certainly, what Blargoe said is 100% correct. If you are using a domain name that could be valid on the Internet, you absolutely want to purchase it, even if it goes unused. The rest is going to depend on the situation. I would argue that for many organizations, it is ideal not to use a DNS name that would be valid on the Internet. Whether .local or .int or .anything is used is not really that important on its own. For a single-forest, single-domain system (e.g. a typical SBS scenario of yore), using .local or something of that nature is arguably preferable.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340