Options

job going away in 1 year - my preparation

ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
My job is going away in about a year and I'm a bit shell shocked right now. There are very few IT jobs in the medium sized city I'm in, and I'm about a 1 hour 20 minute drive from the closest large city. I just bought a house earlier this year, have 3 kids (1 in school), and my family has gotten comfortable here. What would you do if you were me? My certs in my profile are up to date and I'm taking the two LPI exams this month (LX0-101 is tomorrow).

My job for the past two years hasn't had me do much with my CCNA, but I have been doing some work in CUCM. Thought about doing CCNA:Voice...I could probably pass it after about 1 month of serious study. Honestly I've gotten really rusty on CCNA level routing and switching and am seriously considering going back and renewing that to refresh my skills.

So there are family, financial, and career implications all rolled up into one problem. Anyone else had a similar experience? What would you do if this were you? I've got 1 year to prepare.
Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Comments

• Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Are you getting any type of retention bonus, if not start looking now. Get the resume updated, start networking with people, and looking at the job postings.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    Are you getting any type of retention bonus, if not start looking now.
    This company is giving 1 months notice and 1 months severance pay when laying people off.
    ajs1976 wrote: »
    Get the resume updated, start networking with people, and looking at the job postings.
    I'm 1 hour away from Indianapolis and there are a TON of job postings up there. It seems like an awfully long commute but definitely better than being unemployed. I am starting to warm up to the idea of 2 hours of driving every day....lol.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The earlier you start looking for a new job the better off you will be. Tough situation you are in but I am sure your family will understand in the case that you do need to relocate.
  • Options
    joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    I do one hour one way, and 1.5 hours back for my commute. It's really not bad at all if you've got good music and podcasts to listen to.
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • Options
    I do one hour one way, and 1.5 hours back for my commute. It's really not bad at all if you've got good music and podcasts to listen to.

I'm sure you are accustomed to it, but it seems like it'd be an awful lot to spend on gas. Definitely agree about music and podcasts.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I should note that my commute is also over an hour as well. Like joe said you just gotta find some podcasts to listen to and it's not that bad. I use the time to listen to different kinds of training videos.
  • Options
    EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    On the bright side - at least you got a years notice :). I've known many people that haven't got any notice at all.

I would agree with the suggestions above and start applying now.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    ehnde wrote: »
    My job is going away in about a year and I'm a bit shell shocked right now. There are very few IT jobs in the medium sized city I'm in, and I'm about a 1 hour 20 minute drive from the closest large city. I just bought a house earlier this year, have 3 kids (1 in school), and my family has gotten comfortable here. What would you do if you were me? My certs in my profile are up to date and I'm taking the two LPI exams this month (LX0-101 is tomorrow).

My job for the past two years hasn't had me do much with my CCNA, but I have been doing some work in CUCM. Thought about doing CCNA:Voice...I could probably pass it after about 1 month of serious study. Honestly I've gotten really rusty on CCNA level routing and switching and am seriously considering going back and renewing that to refresh my skills.

So there are family, financial, and career implications all rolled up into one problem. Anyone else had a similar experience? What would you do if this were you? I've got 1 year to prepare.

Get the resume updated and start looking.

My company just notified us of this as well (Literally last week) except our entire home office will be gone in a year unless I want to move to Florida. My job specifically we will at least get "60 days notice". I rather look now than wait to hear my 60 days. I am like you. I bought a house in April and I have one kid with a possible 2nd on the way.

Keep calm, and look. At least you have time. Once you find the position you are looking for then bail. The commute isn't bad and you get used to it I did it via car and via train for a long time.
  • Options
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    Get the resume updated and start looking.

My company just notified us of this as well (Literally last week) except our entire home office will be gone in a year unless I want to move to Florida. My job specifically we will at least get "60 days notice". I rather look now than wait to hear my 60 days. I am like you. I bought a house in April and I have one kid with a possible 2nd on the way.

Keep calm, and look. At least you have time. Once you find the position you are looking for then bail. The commute isn't bad and you get used to it I did it via car and via train for a long time.

Our stories do sound very similar! Are you going to try to stay where you live, or are you considering moving? It probably is easier to find another job if you voluntarily leave versus being laid off. I'm only making ~50k/year right now anyways...can probably do better than that.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Our stories do sound very similar! Are you going to try to stay where you live, or are you considering moving? It probably is easier to find another job if you voluntarily leave versus being laid off. I'm only making ~50k/year right now anyways...can probably do better than that.

I love my home and where we live. I live about 40 - 60 minutes from Chicago. So I put my resume online and am interviewing at places already in downtown Chicago (so much like you I will be commuting a lot).

They say it is always easier to find a job when you are employed vs unemployed.

(Also not sure where you live in Indiana but Greensburg has a bunch of factories out there now which may need IT people check online for postings there. Like Honda made a huge car manufacturing plant there, etc)
  • Options
    antielvisantielvis Member Posts: 285 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would actively start looking now. Rule 1 in corporate life, do NOT EVER trust the corporation to look out for you. It will look out for itself. If you get an interview, research the company & pay attention during the interview to what you see with the current staff. Watch how they interact with each other. Ask a ton of questions in the interview specific to the goals the company has (their future IT plans).

As for the commuting, I've did a 75 mile (each way) commute. It was about 2 hours each way. I'm not going to say it's easy and there are associated costs (fuel, tires, etc). You have less free time to yourself and your family. Your kids likely won't understand that you're more tired when you get home than you once were. Sit down with your wife and discuss it. She might need to do more things (pick up groceries, etc) that you can't be part of. Obviously, you need an income. And if you can get a small car (diesel if possible) and satellite radio and a big coffee mug icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    They say it is always easier to find a job when you are employed vs unemployed.

It is now. There was a time when it wasn't that way.

Used to be, unemployed folks were recruited quickly because they were readily available to fill spots. Now with the economy idling workers for long periods, the perception is that if you're unemployed for any length of time you're not as good a catch. That perception extends to a variety of possible interpretations. . . the worker may have gotten lazy, may have lost skills, may be less presentable, may need extra training, etc.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    My wife use to live in Carmel, IN and use to commute up to Kokomo, IN 5 days a week, about 45 mins to an hour both ways and she use to say that it wasn't too bad. And she hates to drive, believe me icon_rolleyes.gif. Good luck with your search and don't be afraid to commute. Spending excess money on gas beats not having any money to spend on anything.
  • Options
    WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    At least you know the job is coming to an end, start looking immediately. You have one year head start. Rare opportunity unless your a contractor.

Is your company going under? What's the morale like in the workplace? Must be low since the company is given out notices.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    WiseWun wrote: »
    At least you know the job is coming to an end, start looking immediately. You have one year head start. Rare opportunity unless your a contractor.

Is your company going under? What's the morale like in the workplace? Must be low since the company is given out notices.

I work at a hospital. Since the Affordable Care Act has taken effect, most healthcare organizations are trying to find ways to become more efficient and cut costs since reimbursement is getting tougher.
  • Options
    gbdavidxgbdavidx Member Posts: 840
    I work at a hospital. Since the Affordable Care Act has taken effect, most healthcare organizations are trying to find ways to become more efficient and cut costs since reimbursement is getting tougher.

i work at one too, because of it i have to start paying 250 a month for it!!!
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A year is a lot of time. Make it worthwhile and don't procrastinate.

Ideally, you'd like to have something lined up before hand or something you can roll over into without much time off.

I was given 2.5 weeks last time and busted my behind and managed to get something without missing a beat.

Good luck.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    Todd BurrellTodd Burrell Member Posts: 280
    I'd recommend working towards your CCNP and then get any other IT related experience and certifications you can get. I was in the same shape about 4 years ago and reinvented myself via certs...

At least you have some time. Take advantage of the time...