Options

What is the cheapest I can get MCSE?

TuningislifeTuningislife Member Posts: 49 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I started a new job and the contract requires that I have "Security+, MCSE or MCTS" (Which does not make sense).

I have been reading these forums, and I was going to start with the 70-642 after I had my Network+, but I realized that the 70-640 was probably a better idea. Question is though, how expensive is all of the (self-study) training going to get?

I looked at:
CBT Nuggets : $99/month
Pluralsight (Trainsignal) : $49/month
Transcender: $139/year per test
MeasureUp: $99/per test
Labsim (TestOut): Entire (MCSA) Certification Bundle: $695 (good for 2 years)
SafariBooks: $19.99/month (10 books at a time)

Each test : $150 + second shot

Are there some resources that are better than others for this stuff? I am an SA that has been working in Enterprise environments for the last 3 years. Never got a cert because I never needed one. But now since it is required in the next 6 months....

Thoughts?
Completed: B.S. & M.S. in Cybersecurity, and MBA @ UMUC

Comments

• Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Personally I would go with Safari Books for your books, CBT Nuggets for your CBT, and SelfTestSoftware for your practice exams.

There is no need to double up on CBTs or practice exams, I think Safari Books do a 5 bookshelf as well if you are looking to keep the costs down.

Whatever the costs it should pay you back multiple times over.
  • Options
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    Personally I would go with Safari Books for your books, CBT Nuggets for your CBT, and SelfTestSoftware for your practice exams.

There is no need to double up on CBTs or practice exams, I think Safari Books do a 5 bookshelf as well if you are looking to keep the costs down.

Whatever the costs it should pay you back multiple times over.

What is the difference between the Kaplan SelfTestSoftware and the Transcender since they are both Mount Washington College?
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    You don't have to purchase all of that material, the only REAL expense is $150 for the exam. Any expenses beyond that is solely based off the individual. Me personally, I just purchase the Microsoft Book, lab the crap out of the evaluation edition of server and test. You could easily spend thousands of dollars on classroom style teaching, or just buy a book - it all depends on the person.

As for your requirements, Security+ will cost like $300, buy a book for $80 and read / study. As for the MCSE / MCTS that's kinda stupid because MCTS is only one exam but the MCSE is three. I have my MCTS with one exam (Vista).
  • Options
    techwizardtechwizard Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Actually I think labsim/testout is good for 3 years unless they changed that recently to 2. Its 3 years, as far as I know. I have labsim/testout library suite and maybe its 3 years with that and not the the individual bundles, but I know its 3 with the library suite. I know that they have not yet released all of the 2012 courses, and only the 70-410 course is available to the best of my knowledge, and the others 70-411, 70-412 are coming soon, they say Q1 of 2014, so I assume sometime in the spring or early summer.
    "Never give up" ~ Winston Churchill
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What is the difference between the Kaplan SelfTestSoftware and the Transcender since they are both Mount Washington College?
    There is less questions with SelfTestSoftware than Transcender something like 10% less I think, you probably only need the 30 day access for $69.
  • Options
    Lexluethar wrote: »
    You don't have to purchase all of that material, the only REAL expense is $150 for the exam. Any expenses beyond that is solely based off the individual. Me personally, I just purchase the Microsoft Book, lab the crap out of the evaluation edition of server and test. You could easily spend thousands of dollars on classroom style teaching, or just buy a book - it all depends on the person.

As for your requirements, Security+ will cost like $300, buy a book for $80 and read / study. As for the MCSE / MCTS that's kinda stupid because MCTS is only one exam but the MCSE is three. I have my MCTS with one exam (Vista).

Already got the Sec+, so that is out of the way. Is it agreed that the M$ Press is the best for this? I already got an e-book version of it from my Safaribooks subscription that I had at my last gig. I just want to ensure that I get the best resources. Like how everyone recommended Darril Gibson's book for Sec+.

I totally agree that the MCSE or MCTS requirement is totally messed up, but we doublechecked the PWS and that is what it says.

The other members of my team do not need to have M$ certs, but instead need a VCP or RHCTS or RHCSA. icon_rolleyes.gif And I am not required to have them either.
  • Options
    techwizard wrote: »
    Actually I think labsim/testout is good for 3 years unless they changed that recently to 2. Its 3 years, as far as I know. I have labsim/testout library suite and maybe its 3 years with that and not the the individual bundles, but I know its 3 with the library suite. I know that they have not yet released all of the 2012 courses, and only the 70-410 course is available to the best of my knowledge, and the others 70-411, 70-412 are coming soon, they say Q1 of 2014, so I assume sometime in the spring or early summer.

It is possible it is 3 years. I did Labsim for the CISSP class and my Net+ class. I also have the CCNA kit that I bought to take, plus I will be using it for Linux+ in a month.

Is there a way to get the entire library cheaper than $2k?

Edit: Though, at this point I would only need the MCITP bundle which is $1300.
  • Options
    LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    I think the MS books are the best you can get for these exams, but by no means are they the only resource you should use. Read and lab in the book, lab some more on your own time getting familiar with how things work then go to the MS page that has the exam objectives, google each objective and read every technet article you can find on it.