Options

Looking for simple backup solution/equipment (pre purchase research)

movingzachbmovingzachb Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Greetings all. I recently got a new job as the main IT person for about 70 employees. I am taking over for the previous one who just retired. I have the responsibility to maintain a backup system that can make files be recoverable from an off-site location.
Currently the backup system we have now is using Acronis (a backup and recovery software). With a rack-mount backup drive array that is VERY old and only about 3 of the 6 bays work that hold 250 GB of space. Two additional 2TB Mybook drives are connected to that backup arrays USB ports to substitute for them and provide enough backup space.

At the end of each week I remove all these drives and take them to a building close by and I lock them in a fire proof cabinet. There are only about one weeks worth of backups. I want to extend that to a month and replace this old backup array with a new one and only use the new array.

I know this isn't a test related post -- but this is where I learned a lot (when studying for my Sec +) and thought maybe if some people could give me a solution here and maybe it would help other IT professionals as well. This is my first job with such a responsibility. So I"m trying to make the best of it.

I was thinking of ordering a Dell Powervault storage server. The base model gives you 5.5 gigs of space and the backup data is compressed. Right now I'd say I backup about 3-5 gigs each week (that's a full backup) But that is a VERY conservative est. Although I would need enough drives to allow me to store a months worth of backups in the off-site location. Would this work?

I would like to be able to set a backup profile that I can execute at the end of each month to start a backup for the next month and have enough space to do all.
Security+