Options

Got a Low Offer, But a Great Company - What to do Now? Advice?

RogueJDRogueJD Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey all.

The long-and-short-of-it is this:

Short:
- Got an offer at the type of work environment I'm looking for, not necessarily the focus, though. It's about 30% less salary than what I -could- make elsewhere. Environment: 9/10. Field: 5-6/10

Long:
- Recently out of the Military. I've been a trainer for the better part of ten years, but in a VERY different, non-IT field. I've been actively pursuing an IT career for the past five. I was fortunate enough to earn a Masters in IT: Information Security. My five-year plan is to gear up for an InfoSec focus.
- I am attending a full-time certification course. I'll be earning a bunch of entry and associate-level certs. It's a lot of hands-on, and I love what I'm learning.
- I went to a career fair hosted by my school. I went there with the notion of simply trying to learn more about the different positions I'd be applying for when I get out of this training in three months. See, I haven't been saturated by IT. I've never worked in the field. I just wanted to learn more about employers, and the potential jobs I'd be searching for.
- Spoke with a guy who represented a software company. He asked what I was looking for. I told him I wasn't necessarily in the market, but I know I want to travel. I told him about me, he told me about a position, and we both lit up! Perfect match.
- They're a small company. Big fish in their little pond, but a relatively narrow scope. GREAT work environment. Everyone's awesome. Super small.
- I sat through several interviews. Great fit, both ways.
- They offered me a job where I'd be training their clients to use their software. Lots of travel. Perfect for me!
- I asked for $55K. They offered $40 for the first year.
- Each and every person there has essentially had their salary raised by about 50% after they "proved themselves".

Here's my dilemma:
- I'd have to put a pause on the certificate training school. Not a big deal. It's bought and paid for. If I did so, I'd -have- a job, potentially a career. I can go back to the school later, if for whatever reason it doesn't work out.
- Their scope is narrow, but is the -environment- of a workplace that I'm looking for. I'm good at training; I want to travel. It's not the best for my "Five-Year Goal", though. If I were to leave them after say, 5-6 years, I wouldn't have made much progress in the InfoSec field. (They do deal a lot in HIPA, though)

Bottom Line:
- Salary! They're offering 40. I have a potential for 55 elsewhere (Starting, mind you), but no guarantees as to the work environment. This company wants me. I've yet to interview elsewhere, as I wasn't really looking. 55k is a realistic number elsewhere. It's not just something I Googled.
- If I were paid only 40, I'd probably use that job, and take my time looking elsewhere for more money. They've had that problem in the past, and I'd feel like **** if I were to do that to such awesome people.

My Questions:
- I want to propose a counteroffer of $45 starting- no less. Is that a common thing? Are counteroffers normal? Mind you; this company -does- reward its employees. Salaries only go up with this company, and they do so often. Will asking for 45 hurt my potential for being "rewarded" for proving myself, as they are wont to do?
- I don't want to take a job at $40, only to be using that to get by while I look for something else. I think 45 would keep me from looking elsewhere; I just don't want to hinder my potential progress with this company by asking for 8-9k more than their paying some of their other employees.

Suggestions? Should I say "no less than $45k"? - And then gamble on the (likely) chance that I could be making $55k by looking elsewhere? (but at the potential expense of a crappy work environment / going through the hiring process / all other "unknowns").

Comments

• Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would recommend explaining to them that you want to work for them, you don't want to take a job at $40k/yr just to immediately start looking for another one, and that you would like them to take a chance on you for $45k/yr. They will respect that, I suspect.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    RogueJDRogueJD Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice!

I guess I'm just afraid of passing up a "sure thing" in a company that has an awesome work environment for an "unknown" that will afford me the pay I'm like to receive; but have so many unknown variables. Couple that with the fact that I'd have to go through the hiring process again... etc.

Before I said "I'm looking to make $55k", they mentioned that they'd like to bring me on in the high 30's. I think $40k was a high-end starting offer for them. $40k was a response to my $55k goal. I'm afraid of asking for $45k, (and that REALLY would be what it takes to keep me from looking elsewhere) because they already went up a tick.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, just let them know that you are torn. Let them know what you like about the company and job but also be upfront about your financial needs. If you are not being confrontational, the hiring manager will appreciate the openness and honesty. Especially if you have developed a good rapport with him/her.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    $5k is really not that much more. I say ask for it once you get the offer letter. If they don't want to offer more the worst thing they could say is 40 is their best, right?
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!