Options

Moving out from help desk...Lost where to go.

shhnotearsnowshhnotearsnow Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
What are some role paths that are viable when trying to move out of the help desk position
How long should you stay on the help desk before being "burnt out,bored, don't know what career path to take,etc"

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I only lasted 3 months in a helpdesk role before I couldnt take it any longer. I started applying after my 3 month probation was over and luckily landed the first job I interviewed for. Back then I had no certs and like you had no career direction. I picked up the CCNA books and began reading them but I soon realized that it wasnt my thing. I picked up some Microsoft books and havent looked back since.

So, pick up some books and see what you like, your local library may have some to get you started. As for how long you need to stay in helpdesk, there isnt a rule. If you dont like it, find a Desktop Support/NOC Support/Jr Sys Admin kind of position and get the hell out of there. Life it too short to be bored out of your mind.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    shhnotearsnowshhnotearsnow Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, Yea pretty much i'm a glorified receptionist here. I have no certs but plan on getting them while im here. From what I see help leans towards either networking or a server type job?
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Most people in IT start off in a helpdesk role, as you build experience you begin to realize what tickles your fancy more. For me it was servers when I moved out of helpdesk, then with time I realized virtualization was my calling. People branch off into servers/networks/programming/security/databases etc. It could be anything really. Start working on a cert or two, but keep applying as you go. Too many people think - O well, lemme finish the A+ or the N+ or the CCNA/MCTS and then I'll start applying. NO! Apply everyday, apply to everything that interests you. A cert isnt a magic ticket to a job so there are no guarantees that a cert will land you a job. Certs help, but arent the be-all and end-all. Good luck!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com