Options

Need advice on my IT career pathway/timeline

Sryan176Sryan176 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am currently studying for my A+and Networking+ exams, and will take my Security+ shortly after. hopefully towards the end of summer I will have all three. Here's my question. I am 31 and I have been a security/data/telecom tech for almost ten years. I have been wanting to make the move over to IT for several years but it just kept getting put to the side. I haven't gotten a definite IT career path setup but I have a general idea.Through being an installation/service technician for several large companies including, Time Warner Cable, ADT Security, CMI Data-Com cabling solutions, and a few others,I have gained what I consider to be a lot of valuable training and knowledge. My fear is that prospective employers may not view me that way due to the fact that my past 10 years experience isn't strictly IT work. I understand that I may have to take a few steps back to move forward, but going into an entry level help desk position is just not possible for me. I cant take that kind of pay cut. I'm really wondering how far I should take my certifications before I begin actively looking for work, and any good advice on which direction I would benefit most from with my work experience coupled with A+,N+,Sec+, and some MS certs would suit me? I know that just having a bunch of certifications without the real world experience is useless. I currently make between 50K and 60K a year, but I just dont know how many more of these 80 hour weeks of crawling under houses and in attics I can take. I am willing to take a 10k a year pay cut to spend a little more time with my family and then pursue some higher degrees. any help?

Comments

• Options
    slotzeroslotzero Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    With that kind of experience, I see a few different options to consider:

• Operations
      • OPS is often a good entry point into an IT department and also often overlooked. Basically running and monitoring batch jobs, but you're learning about the company and the ins and outs of what supports its business. If you can get a good grasp of enterprise job scheduling and data transfer, you'll be on a good path. Even with Windows Task Scheduler or cron, you can fire up some VMs and schedule jobs that encrypt data, then SFTP those files to/from a different place.
    • Data Center
      • Data center infrastructure fits right in with your skillset. Look for mid-sized companies that are moving data centers, setting up disaster recovery sites, or just new locations. They have to deal with a lot of logistics such as backup power, power grid considerations, all sorts of cabling and hardware challenges. Check out companies that move data centers as their business - they are well paid and busy all year round.
    • Recruiters
      • A good recruiter knows how to sell your talent. They are like a real estate agent, making money off the company where you're placed. There are many, many different situations here, but basically don't pay any agency or recruiter any money at all. Often you can find yourself in a position where you can fill in for someone on medical leave, maternity leave, etc, and that's a great in with a company.

Some of that may be unconventional but maybe give you some things to think about. Most importantly, when you score an interview, do not go about it with a "what's in it for me" attitude. Go in there knowing something about the company. Ask good questions about the department and the business. Ask what challenges they are facing. Solve a problem or at least give a suggestion while you're there. Show them you are a team player and can and will add value.

This is what sets you apart in the interviews. Where I work now, I've taken part in no less than 250 interviews. I would guess 10-20 people have been there with the right attitude. Even if you don't get the job, if you become a resource, you've added to your network of contacts. Or started to build it. They may think of you when the next open is available.

Also you wouldn't believe how many cross-reference opportunites there are out there. So you don't get the job at Rubbermaid. But you clicked with one of the technical guys, and he has friends at other companies that are hiring, and you get a call and an interview out of the blue.

It's hard work. We techies don't interview or find jobs for a living. But its a skill we have to develop so we can compete when we talk to the people who interview and hire for a living.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm passionate about this topic. Maybe something in there will help!
    WGU BS:IT/SF In Progress...
  • Options
    No I appreciate it. I'm not unrealistic about the job opporunities that will be available to me with low level certs. Fortunately my experience with infrastructure and troubleshooting should help me along the way. I plan on continuing my education to a much higher degree, but my issue is I really cant move back top a 30k a year job with a wife and three kids and all the financials that come with them. I do and have been working 60+ hours a week for almost 5 years now so its almost impossible for me to go to a university or college to work on degrees. So I really see my only alternative is self education and getting every cert I can and hopefully find an employer who can take my communications background and put it together with my certifications and see me as an investment of sorts. Like I said, I dont think I'm going to get a couple of certifications and get a 9 to 5 80K a year job playing on a laptop, I know that wont happen. What specific positions should I be looking at? and What kind of pay range would I reasonably expect with the basic A+,N+,Sec+, and maybe a CCNA combined with my skillset? My ultimate goal is to become a network architect or high level engineer. Im just not sure how much weight my experience holds.
  • Options
    LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I like the dialogue in this post -

You should look at WGU as a resource, just some food for thought.

I believe those 3 certs are a good foundation to have - however, I believe that atleast in my experience, Network Architects or high level engineers usually have MCSE's (Microsoft certifications). I would think your background in Cisco would allow you to move forward with becoming either of those.

My advice is - don't psyche yourself out - you can bring valuable experience and knowledge to the table. Experience > *. Don't think someone with fancy certs automatically makes them a network or systems god, with the way information is, and how readily available it is, people are passing even the most hardest tests without much effort and going into the workforce not knowing jack squat.

The biggest thing you will hear from the PMP/CISSP side of IT is how in the last year or two, certified professionals in these area's have doubled, and some believe that soon, those two highly prized credentials will be watered down.

I think getting those trio will get your foot in the door - and maybe even a comfy 45K-50K job. It all depends on your area, your market and the job your going for.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    Ive been digging around. Data Center operations looks like something i could apply my experience to. Maybe go in as a data center technician and work my way up? If nothing else it would give me some good IT environment experience to add to what I already have. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There is the argument of IT Inhouse vs MSP helpdesks. I've contracted for a Company for an Inhouse, and I've worked at a MSP Helpdesk covering clients from small flower shops, to small clinics, to law firms and everything in between. I would say I owe a great amount of my experience to the MSP realm. I learned so much in a short amount of time, everything from deploying Servers, process onboarding and discovery (network), AD / Exchange setup/troubleshooting and theory of troubleshooting, also, lots of networking experience as well.

At the contract level for an inhouse, I learned office politics, how to talk to people face to face vs over the phone, priorities (Managers issue vs VIP/CEO issues) and some AD / Exchange stuff.

I took a great amount of everything to become well balanced. You have to go in like a sponge, absorb everything, EVERYTHING. Customer service is great on a resume, especially if you can explain what you did, what you can bring to the table, and all that stuff.

So... in short, whatever you decide to do, regardless, you should absorb everything like a sponge.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    LittleBIT wrote: »
    in my experience, Network Architects or high level engineers usually have MCSE's (Microsoft certifications). I would think your background in Cisco would allow you to move forward with becoming either of those.

My advice is - don't psyche yourself out - you can bring valuable experience and knowledge to the table. Experience > *. Don't think someone with fancy certs automatically makes them a network or systems god, with the way information is, and how readily available it is, people are passing even the most hardest tests without much effort and going into the workforce not knowing jack squat.

Excellent advice. The top Microsoft, Cisco, and VMWare certs carry a lot of weight in the job search process.
    Sryan176 wrote: »
    Ive been digging around. Data Center operations looks like something i could apply my experience to. Maybe go in as a data center technician and work my way up? If nothing else it would give me some good IT environment experience to add to what I already have. Any thoughts?

This is an excellent path. Also another option could be the Telephony route, especially with Cisco equipment. Companies have a hard time staffing these positions with competent people, and it's a great way to learn in IT.

Like LittleBIT says, absorb everything like a sponge :)
  • Options
    After almost ten years of being a residential and commercial technician my customer service skills are top notch. I have consistently been at the top of the rankings with any customer satisfaction/installation survey metric used by my companies to monitor our performance. Working in people homes and places of business you have to be customer service orientated and empathetic to theory wants needs and concerns. Considering that most of my positions have been piece pay only, losing and install or turning off a customer can mean the difference between a great days pay and driving around all day and making nothing. Incomplete install=no pay. I feel like bringing these skills with me could be another big asset to any prospective employer weighing my experience vs. credentials. I also have excellent references pertaining to this.
  • Options
    Sryan176 wrote: »
    After almost ten years of being a residential and commercial technician my customer service skills are top notch. I have consistently been at the top of the rankings with any customer satisfaction/installation survey metric used by my companies to monitor our performance. Working in people homes and places of business you have to be customer service orientated and empathetic to theory wants needs and concerns. Considering that most of my positions have been piece pay only, losing and install or turning off a customer can mean the difference between a great days pay and driving around all day and making nothing. Incomplete install=no pay. I feel like bringing these skills with me could be another big asset to any prospective employer weighing my experience vs. credentials. I also have excellent references pertaining to this.

Most of what you said there is the makings of an awesome cover letter, and great information in interviews. I think you'll do great!