Options

Laugh at this recruiter!

I got a request to connect on LinkedIn out of a recruiter a couple of weeks ago. Now, I generally accept all LinkedIn requests, because you never know what opportunities might open up or what people that might put you on contact with. This guy, immediately after we connected, sent me a message asking if we could do lunch sometime as he'd like to discuss an oportunity with a particular company he thinks I'd be a great fit for. I politely declined stating that I just started a new job that I'm really enjoying, and there's no way I'd make another move so soon. Here are a couple of highlights from his follow up. Names/companies redacted.
I*Comany name* is unlike any other company you have ever experienced or seen, the chances of getting hired there are in the single digits so I often recommend that people consider taking a shot while they're not actively looking because the likelihood of the making it through the rigorous interview process is extremely low. In effect having nothing to lose, but everything to gain and the comfort of a current job to fall back on.
Thinking objectively and strategically here, who would be the top one or two Linux minds you've ever had the pleasure of working with?

Don't you just love that last bit - can you please give me a couple of names of other people to hit up up from your connections if you're not interested.
"Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi

Comments

• Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should have taken the free lunch :)
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like his approach didn't work so well with you. :)
  • Options
    earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Recruiters. I can't stand them.
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    FloOz wrote: »
    You should have taken the free lunch :)

No such thing as a free lunch. ;)
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Don't get me going about recruiters. Last week I got a voicemail AT WORK form a recruiter telling me everything about this super awesome position. Since she also hit me on LinkedIn I asked how she got a hold of my office number. Her actual response: "I called (insert my current employer's name here) and the receptionist connected me to your extension."

I'm giving it a few days so I can cool off and write a nastygram to the recruiting agency's president.
  • Options
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Don't get me going about recruiters. Last week I got a voicemail AT WORK form a recruiter telling me everything about this super awesome position. Since she also hit me on LinkedIn I asked how she got a hold of my office number. Her actual response: "I called (insert my current employer's name here) and the receptionist connected me to your extension."

I'm giving it a few days so I can cool off and write a nastygram to the recruiting agency's president.

I was contacted by a recruiter about a month ago and through that, had a face to face interview with the agent I contacted. After the interview, this agent's "open and caring" demeanor disappeared for he didn't seem interested in getting me into an entry level IT job. It was revealed to me from someone who has dealt with this company (and particular department in Nashville) that they only show more energy and focus on clients that are highly qualified, have more than 3 years of IT experience, a degree etc... (the higher qualified client, the more money they earn). I felt terrible, as if I fell for a scam and wasted my time. It seems as if recruiters are only motivated by numbers rather than actually helping people. That's just my personal experience and two cents....
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    earonw49 wrote: »
    It was revealed to me from someone who has dealt with this company (and particular department in Nashville) that they only show more energy and focus on clients that are highly qualified, have more than 3 years of IT experience, a degree etc... (the higher qualified client, the more money they earn).
    This is my biggest peeve. Many recruiters don't do their due dilligence researching the prospective hire's skills or the skills required for a position, and subsequently try to connect you with jobs that you aren't qualified or are overqualified for, usually the former. This a waste of everyone's time. I was being contacted by recruiters for senior level position after being in IT for less than a year. It was flattering until I realized how the game works.
    earonw49 wrote: »
    It seems as if recruiters are only motivated by numbers rather than actually helping people. That's just my personal experience and two cents....
    It isn't entirely their fault. Most times they receive bonuses and such per signee. Other times they are trying to hit quotas just to keep their jobs. You can't really blame them for exhausting every option, however annoying it is.

It should be noted that not ALL recruiters are bad. I had the pleasure of meeting and working with a recruiter before taking my current job. He was upfront with what he wanted from me, clearly stating, "quid pro quo". I was up front with what I wanted. While he couldn't meet my needs, we still had drinks and hung out. He has since successfully placed people with my old company.

Long story short, I now have an easy way to find a job near my hometown who will be completely transparent in regards to salary and other benefits.

It never hurts to have connections.
    Don't paint them all with the same broad brush.
    Some of them reaaaaalllllly suck though.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    tprice5 wrote: »
    It never hurts to have connections.
    Don't paint them all with the same broad brush.
    Some of them reaaaaalllllly suck though.

Indeed, thank you for the wise words!

I am fortunate to being able to link up and gather with a local IT security professional group here in nashville as well as a developers "club".

As far as recruiters, I am a big supporter of "mercy" and "second chances". I cannot rule out the fact that recruiters ARE a source for connections in IT jobs. I would personally be cheating myself out and making future job searches harder if I didn't utilized the recruiter route. I definitely sounded like I branded all recruiters that way, which I didn't mean to...icon_redface.gif

Anyways, the OP post's recruiter is a class act indeed. icon_profileright.gif
  • Options
    About7NarwhalAbout7Narwhal Member Posts: 761
    jmritenour wrote: »
    I*Comany name* is unlike any other company you have ever experienced or seen, the chances of getting hired there are in the single digits so I often recommend that people consider taking a shot while they're not actively looking because the likelihood of the making it through the rigorous interview process is extremely low. In effect having nothing to lose, but everything to gain and the comfort of a current job to fall back on.

While I do generally agree with everyone here that most recruiters are similar to telemarketers, I don't think this person's approach is that far off base. Sure, they likely exaggerated a bit on the odds. But there is a valuable life lesson in his dribble; look for jobs while you have one and you can afford the luxury of choice and the knowledge that if it falls through you still have your job.

Remember, it is easier to find a job when you have a job.