Options

Serving my VMs?

ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
Anyone have a good solution to serve up my VMware Workstation VMs over the LAN to a tablet running Windows 8.1? Ideally, I could access my lab VMs on the tablet, while someone else is using the VM host computer for something else. Doable?

edit: I should clarify, I mean access them as if I was sitting at them, I know I can SSH in, but I'd like to access them as if local.

Comments

• Options
    slotzeroslotzero Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Are they Windows VMs? I would think a Windows tablet would have an RDP client?
    WGU BS:IT/SF In Progress...
  • Options
    There's 2008R2, 2012R2, Centos, Ubuntu Server, a Nexpose appliance, and ESXi, so far. I'm hoping for something like the built in VMware Workstation Server functionality, but I don't have a second copy of Workstation to run on the tablet. If I have to, I'll work up shortcuts for seperate RDP/SSH/whatever sessions, I was just hoping for something tailored to this application :)
  • Options
    Understood. Can you run the vSphere web client on the tablet?
  • Options
    Nope, well, maybe, but the VMs aren't in ESXi. You got me on the right track though. I enabled server mode in Workstation, installed WSX, and opened the proper ports in the firewall. Now, I can access all the VMs which are served as web pages by WSX. Sweet.

No, more than sweet. This is friggin' awesome. I'll make a howto video tomorrow when my new camera battery gets here :)
  • Options
    That is awesome!