New to forum/question about cert.

brad0503brad0503 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am currently going to school for an AAS degreein computer science but work as a mechanic in the army trying to do a careerfield change. My question is since I don’t work with computers right now as acareer should I focus on getting certified? Thank you for the help

Comments

• santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Depends on when you are changing careers because some certs expires. I would only do entry level certs if any like a+ network+ etc. Are you trying to change your job in military?
  • BetrayalBetrayal Member Posts: 108
    If your career doesn't involve working with computers, networks, or IT security then you don't need to get certified in this industry. But if you are trying to do a career field change and you think that certifications will help you out with that then go for it!
  • brad0503brad0503 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you for the feed back not changing my career in the military just trying to plan for when i get out have about 6 more years before i retire and don't want to work as a mechanic after the military.
  • slotzeroslotzero Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    brad0503 wrote: »
    Thank you for the feed back not changing my career in the military just trying to plan for when i get out have about 6 more years before i retire and don't want to work as a mechanic after the military.

My suggestion in that case is to focus on your degree - finish your AAS, move on to a Bachelor's if you can. That will help you tremendously when you retire from the military and begin looking for a civilian job.

Good luck - thanks for your service!
    WGU BS:IT/SF In Progress...
  • brad0503brad0503 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    slotzero wrote: »
    My suggestion in that case is to focus on your degree - finish your AAS, move on to a Bachelor's if you can. That will help you tremendously when you retire from the military and begin looking for a civilian job.

Good luck - thanks for your service!

Thank you sounds like a plan that was one of my future plans was to transfer to a 4 year degree
  • santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Yes finish school, any certs you would obtain now would have already expired. Your going to need experience most.