Options

DOD jobs and Comptia's CASP

NorbieNorbie Member Posts: 105
Recently I interviewed for a DOD related job but I didn't get it I suspect because I do not have the newer version of the Security+ certification. I have the old lifetime one. I got my A+, Network+ and Security+ a month or two before Comptia announced those 3 would need to be recertified every 3 years.

Instead of taking the Security+ exam again (and thus not getting a new cert really) could I pass CompTIA's Advanced Security Practitioner exam and still qualify for a DOD job or will I still have to go get Security+?

My fear is if I get the CASP no one will know what that is and I won't get a job.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Comments

• Options
    zrockstarzrockstar Member Posts: 378
    I would have a hard time believing that you didn't get the job because of cert version. At least when I worked for the gov the certs were more of checks in the box. Did you meet all the other requirements like education, relevant experience (real experience, not stretched), and do you have any sort of veterans preference or anything? Also, are you absolutely sure they even filled the position at all?
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Doubt they passed you up because of the cert's version. I've worked with folks who had SY0-301 and SY0-201 in the same position and I've never heard of a requirement mandating a specific version.

Also, in regards to the old lifetime certs, I was told during a recent cert briefing that although CompTIA might regard them as such, the DoD does not and you would be required to maintain your CEs to keep your currency valid (in the eyes of the DoD).
    However, the lifetime version of these certs may not be acceptable to the DoD, as they are not in compliance with ISO/IEC 17024, so you may be required by the DoD to retake the exams after January 1, 2011 anyway.

IT Certifications and DoD Directive 8570.01-M - TechExams.net IT Certification Blogs
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    NorbieNorbie Member Posts: 105
    The interview seemed fine until they asked me about which Security+ version I had. After that they showed complete disinterest.

The head hunter who tried to get me the job seems to think the same thing will happen again and again until I get the updated Security+.
    "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
  • Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Security+, It's not a difficult exam. At least not in my opinion. I think you should just study for it and take it, so you won't have to worry about not having it...Especially if you want to work in the federal realm. Just grab Darril's book and if you are familiar with firewalls and reading their rule sets, you'll be good to go. If not, just Google some firewall rule sets and how to read them.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've seen **** openly passed around and recommended by project and training managers when working for the DoD. Run a search for such files at the work center and you'd be surprised how many hits you get. The certification requirement has never been nothing more than a paper prerequisite and I've never heard a specific version be preferred or mandated. So I have a hard time believing that was the case.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    I'm really shocked that you would be so opposed to getting more credentials, they only help. The CASP is big in the DoD and if you want a job there it could be the thing that sets you apart from other applicants.