Options

Coding or IT Certs?

ASwitchASwitch Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm deciding whether to focus on networking or programming (Python). I already have a technical support diploma and CCNA but no programming experience.

Long term, what would be the pros and cons of each?

Comments

• Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    IMO knowing one scripting language isn't going to open as many doors as networking will. Would you plan on diversifying your coding skills and adding other languages?

Why not networking and python together?
  • Options
    YFZblu wrote: »
    IMO knowing one scripting language isn't going to open as many doors as networking will. Would you plan on diversifying your coding skills and adding other languages?

Why not networking and python together?

I see, I would eventually learn Java + other essential skills.

Networking and Python together sounds like a good option, do they compliment each other well? Or is there something better I could learn to go with networking?
  • Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ASwitch wrote: »
    I see, I would eventually learn Java + other essential skills.

Networking and Python together sounds like a good option, do they compliment each other well? Or is there something better I could learn to go with networking?

Scripting in general is extremely useful for any admin. It will allow you to automate processes that could otherwise be painstaking and time-consuming. It will also help if you ever need to trudge through others' code, or perhaps add to it. Conversely if you choose the coding route, knowing how traffic flows will definitely be of benefit to you - I can't tell you how many developers in our environment at work have no idea how their app interacts with the network. It causes a lot of problems and extra work that could otherwise be avoided.

If you plan to learn other languages, that changes your question completely - You're essentially asking of you should become a developer or a network engineer. To that I would advise you to do what you like most.
  • Options
    Okay, thank you for your input!