g0tmi1k review: Offensive Security Cracking the Perimeter (CTP) and OSCE

docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
Just came across this review of Offensive Security's Cracking the Perimeter course:

http://blog.g0tmi1k.com/2013/08/review-cracking-perimeter-ctp-offensive.html

This makes me want to take PWB even more. So much to learn, so little time to do it.
Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/

Comments

• NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dude you should. Given your background, you'll kill it.

Plus you already stumbled upon one of the most important resources you can use in that course. The g0tmi1k linux privilege escalation blog is a MUST. Helped me on numerous occasions.

g0tmi1k: Basic Linux Privilege Escalation
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As much as I love Offensive Security's training program, based on everything I've read about PWB it sounds like a major time commitment. It's highly unlikely I'll be able to go through it within a reasonable time in the near future given my current work schedule. I'm also planning on taking another SANS-something in 2014 so my calendar's already looking pretty tight.

But the OSCP is definitely tempting ... and undoubtedly challenging.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is what I struggle with. I just don't have the time.
  • ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm enrolling OSCP atm and very much impressed, I will definitely continue to OSCE.
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    This makes me even more eager to start the offsec challenge.
    Expect wrote: »
    I'm enrolling OSCP atm and very much impressed, I will definitely continue to OSCE.

Feel free to share your thoughts/experience throughout the course at some point. I have at least 6 months untill I start so that's the only thing I've got icon_cry.gif:D
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
    I love how the course is organized.

The topics are really interesting and you get the chance to present with your own ways of achieving what they're asking during the course.

Thinking out of the box is how i would sum this course up.

I have taken few certs before but this one is exceptionally special
  • NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I said the same thing. You might feel differently after surviving OSCP. I expected to jump right into OSCE...but its been about a year since I got OSCP. And I'd say probably at least one more year til I'll be ready to go another round. As many have pointed out, OSCP is a huge time commitment. And it doesn't get any easier with OSCE.

*** BTW...A guy I work with is taking OSEE (72 hours) exam this week. I think he is on his third day today. Can't wait to hear about how brutal that one was. ***
  • mambomambo Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, I did the OSCP about 3 years ago, quit my job and studied 8h/day for a month and then studied for another week. Failed on my first attempt but then tried harder ;)
    it was by far the most rewarding cert I've taken so far and then did the OSWP about 2 years ago. The OSCE for me is overkill as I don't pretend to live in a debugger for the rest of my life but understand and look up to anyone that has it. Those are some serious technical security skills, just figure out if anyone is willing to pay you for what those skills are worth and if you can commit 2 months of your life to it.

I think that all offensive security certs prepare you enough for their exams but remember that it is all about thinking out of the box and that there is more than one way to skin a cat. To put it bluntly, you will lose hair!! Those are all technical, zero theory, exams. Took me 22 hours to finish the oscp. The oswp is way,way easier and serves as a good intro to their way of teaching you the courseware.

All in all, those courses are an extremely good value and very enjoyable to do, but they take commitment. When you are stuck, no one will help you, just TRY HARDER!

I'd hire an OSCP/OSCE any day just for their ability to solve problems.
  • Cold TitaniumCold Titanium Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think I'm going to go for the 30 day PWK in about a week or two...This is the only exam that I've been kinda nervous about. This is going to be so different than all the others...I guess the main thing I need is to be able to think outside the box. I'd say I have approx a RHCSA's level of Linux knowledge from reading the exam tasks. Not to familiar with Python, but I think I could pick it up pretty quick. I suppose buffer overflows are probably what I'd have the most trouble with.

How many times can you re-take the exam? Even if I fail, I think the experience will be worth it though.
    2014 Goals
    • Pass OSCP (In Progress)
    • Obtain employment in IT Security
    as many as you like as long as you don't run out of greens :)