Options

So my manager wants me out...

WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
But in a good way I guess? A little background.

I've been with this company for over 2 years and it's really a great place to work. The pay is decent, great benefits, and a very relaxed environment.

Just a few months into the job, my department went through a transition where they built a new team. There was a technical and a behavior interview to be apart of this team and I was one of the 3 out of 9 folks who got promoted.

After the interview and once it became official, my manager approached me and said I was the only person who passed the technical interview. General questions about virtualization (VMware), networking, and Microsoft applications and services(AD, Exchange, etc)

About a year into this new role, I started to become bored but always fulfilled my duties and stayed committed. I made sure my IT skills did not become stagnant because I would constantly lab, read, watch videos, etc.

Recently, I had a conversation with my manager and simply put he said "why are you here. You are worth 30-40% more with my education, experience, skill-sets, etc." He advised me to look elsewhere and test the market. I guess hes looking out for me?

I do have family commitments, so it's not as easy as it once used to be where I would just switch jobs. My LinkedIn profile is up to date and I do get noticed/e-mails from recruiters. Should I look elsewhere and test the waters? Did your manager/superiors ever approach you with such conversation?
"If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    To avoid duplicate threads, I think this topic has already been covered here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/96339-new-years-resolutions-2014-a.html

Nice goals though, I would love to some day be an IT consultant. I know someone in my area who became an IT consultant as soon as he achieved his CCIE#
  • Options
    Thanks Veritas, I noticed right after but a bit too late! Too bad I can't delete the thread but I'm in the process of changing the subject.

It would be nice if you could elaborate on your friend and his experience getting into consulting world. What was his role/experience prior to CCIE.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'm not close friends, so I can't comment much on the subject. I'm as curious as you are... :)
  • Options
    roch_gregroch_greg Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can try thinking of it this way. Your manager knows (or at least thinks he does) what your market value is. He almost certainly knows if you'll ever achieve that type of compensation with that company.

There could be other factors in play but it's a given that when that type of statement is made the other party isn't reluctant to see you go.

Having some experience with that type of situation I would take them up on it or at least start looking to see what's out there that you might like.

IT Consulting is really no different than being a Contractor. The big difference is when your an IT Consultant you are your own company.

Instead of some other "consulting" company hiring you then sending you to work on a "contact" basis for their client, you get the gig's yourself.

Consulting/Contracting is really growing in IT since the last recession as many companies no longer want to bring on expensive talent permanently. Just long enough to knock out a project.

There are Job boards dedicated to just this type of work.
    Goals for 2014: Cisco ICND1[X], Cisco ICND2/CCNA R&S[X], Junos, Associate (JNCIA-Junos)[ ]
    Ain't Nothing Illegal til You Get Caught --> Tickle from Moonshiners TV Show.
  • Options
    roch_greg wrote: »
    You can try thinking of it this way. Your manager knows (or at least thinks he does) what your market value is. He almost certainly knows if you'll ever achieve that type of compensation with that company.

There could be other factors in play but it's a given that when that type of statement is made the other party isn't reluctant to see you go.

Having some experience with that type of situation I would take them up on it or at least start looking to see what's out there that you might like.

I work in the public sector so the only time I'll see a pay increase is if I jump to another pay band. It doesn't matter if I get another Masters degree or a high end certification. This might have worked if I worked for a private company who would recognize my credentials.
    roch_greg wrote: »

IT Consulting is really no different than being a Contractor. The big difference is when your an IT Consultant you are your own company.

Instead of some other "consulting" company hiring you then sending you to work on a "contact" basis for their client, you get the gig's yourself.

Consulting/Contracting is really growing in IT since the last recession as many companies no longer want to bring on expensive talent permanently. Just long enough to knock out a project.

There are Job boards dedicated to just this type of work.

It's very lucrative indeed. Don't most people go with a recruiter and build their contacts and experience before going solo? I know they might take a slice of what the client is paying for and I know a few recruiters who take home 65% of the pay which to me is ridiculous. Do you mind sharing some of the job boards dedicated to this type of work?
  • Options
    roch_gregroch_greg Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I didn't see the part about being a public (municipal if you like) employee in the starting thread. Yes that does make a difference as how pay is structured.

Still though, there must be higher "bands" within your particular occupation no? If so why not recommend to you to move up within the organization instead of leaving it?

While municipal/public workers may typically make less than their civilian counterparts, they also have benefit and retirement packages that very few in the civilian space can ever hope to obtain. In short, whenever thinking about employment one has to factor in the total compensation package.

As to the consulting. You really don't need to work with a recruiter to build up contacts. That's just stealing work from them. You need to do what any other business does which is advertise your services and availabilities.

Careerbuilder has a sister site called sologig. There are a few more I've seen where an employer posts a listing and "bids" are put in to do the work. I'll have to look around and get back to you.

It may sound lucrative but you need to remember one point. When you operate as a IT Consultant or Independent Contractor you are for all intents and purposes running your own business. Your responsible for paying all employment and income taxes at the federal and state level. You will also need to pay for business insurance, medical/dental care as well.

Many chose to ignore that until they are not so politely reminded. I've seen it and it's not pretty.
    Goals for 2014: Cisco ICND1[X], Cisco ICND2/CCNA R&S[X], Junos, Associate (JNCIA-Junos)[ ]
    Ain't Nothing Illegal til You Get Caught --> Tickle from Moonshiners TV Show.