Options

Couple questions...

First off, does anyone know of any sites offering a decent price on Prometric Microsoft vouchers? The one site out of those I have bookmarked that are selling them (getcertified4less) only has the voucher at 6 bucks cheaper than the full test would cost me, and 6 bucks really isnt worth the hassle of putting my credit card number on the internet with another company. Does anyone know of anything cheaper?

As well, what do you folks recommend for study material. Through the grace of a good friend who's passed already, I have access to the Transcender software for this test, and my only class this quarter is my Win2k pro class (unfortunetly my other 3 classes got cancelled due to lack of enrollment... damned summer quarters). I have no intention of waiting 10 weeks when this class is over to take the exam, as I intend to have my MCSA by the end of the year at the very latest. (Unfortunetly, I can't drop the class because I still need the credit towards an elective /grumble). The text I have is the Thompson Learning Technology MCSE Guide to Windows 2000 Professional by Ed Tittle and some other dude. I do not like this book. It skips over several things that I know are fairly important (like the three main files that *have* to be on the system partition for 2k), and I am simply not going to trust it to study for the exam.

My local bookstore has quite a few guides to this exam, and the two I've seen mentioned in passing in these forums are the Sybex guide and the Microsoft Press guide. Since I'm a lazy guy and if it's not on the first page of the forum, I don't want to go looking for it, I figured I'd ask y'alls opinions on which would be the better book to study out of. I traditionally do not like Sybex texts, those I've used in the past have either bored, been full of mistakes, or just didn't cover the material well enough. However, I'm not one to stereotype, and despite my personal experiences, I'm willing to make an exception if there's a consensus among the knowledgeable folks here that the book is worthwhile. I'm also a tad bit skeptical of anything Microsoft says. Though it would stand to reason that the people who publish the test would write the best text on studying for the test...let's just say I have trust issues with Microsoft and leave it at that. ;)

Thanks in advance for any help and opinions :)
= Marcus Drakonblayde
================
CCNP-O-Meter:
=[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
=CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=