Options

How detailed are command-line questions on the 70-680?

coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I am currently planning on taking the 70-680 certification exam in two weeks. I have done four CompTIA certs and this will be my first foray in the Microsoft arena. I know questions are much harder in these exams so I am studying as in-depth as possible, and have been for almost a whole month now. I am also using as many study tools as possible (multiple books, prof. messer videos, TrainSignal videos, CBT nuggets, multiple practice exams).

Most videos/books don't go too in-depth with command line functionality. Maybe one or two commands per topic covered.

I am taking practice exams and am getting questions about a lot more than I remember reading or seeing in videos. Examples:

bdehdcfg.exe -target -size
loadstate /lac:Password
sysprep /audit /oobe /generalize
scanstate /nocompress /p /vsc /genmigxml /v:verbositylevel

Some of these are far more in depth than I ever, ever found in any content I studied. Will things of this nature be on the exam? I am studying directly off of technet at this point to be thorough...but I want to make sure I'm not overdoing it.

Thank you,

Coralreefguy
System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure

Comments

• Options
    pzeropzero Member Posts: 192
    I dont remember them being too deep (was a few years ago now), but you should def know the sysprep, dism, imagex ones or at least be able to recognise the switches if they are thrown at you.

Worst case, lab the commands and get intimate with them. Good luck!
  • Options
    coralreefguycoralreefguy Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here's another one. For example,

Q: What is needed to display the details activation and license status of a W7 enterprise image?
    A: slmgr.vbs and specify the /dli parameter

I never watched that in a video or read that in a book. It's obviously in technet. Why am I finding questions of this detail level online? Is this going to be on the exam? I feel like I have a really good handle on the content material but then this kind of thing makes me totally doubt myself.
    System Administrator / DevOps guy

2015 passed: CCNA R/S, CCNA Sec, Project+, VCP5-DCV
    2016 goals: MCSE Server 2012; continue to use/learn more Chef w/Ruby and Powershell on Azure
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's a curveball question by the practice exam provider, it's likely something like that won't come up on the exam IMO - or at least in a simplier form than the one given. The question you provided is there for you to follow that up and research that just in case it comes up on the exam.

I would recognise "slmgr.vbs" because it is used to re-arm trial editions of Windows but would have to guess at the /dll command line option. But it's likely you would be given 4 answers, 1 is totally wrong, 3 give "slmgr.vbs" but only 1 uses the correct command line option on the exam.

They are sort of instinctive questions because it's tough to memorise command line switches unless you use them reguarly. But you may recognise them on seeing the answers.

What percentage are you getting on the practice exams?