Options

Hyper V manager question

JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
I just installed Hyper V 2012, joined it to a domain on server 2003 and then used win 8 with the Hyper V Manager console. It looked like you have to jump through some hoops to make it work on a workgroup vs. domain according to some online guides/videos. I basically stood up a an eval version of server 2003 for a test domain and windows 8 in order to use the hyper v manager console.

1st question - Is Hyper V 2008 installed in the same way as 2012? Does it work "smoother" when joined a domain?
2nd question - Is there "Hyper V Manager" console for operating systems other than Windows 8?
2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.

Comments

• Options
    googolgoogol Member Posts: 107
    Smoother? Sure, just could be less secure due to AD, but some things rely on AD..like failover clustering.

Hyper-V is just a role for both OSes, 2008 and 2012. The server manager GUI (assuming you are using GUI) is different, but concept of roles are the same.

Hyper-V manager is the main area they need to improve IMO, its gotten better, but basically they want you to get SCVMM. As far as for other OSes, nope, theres no reason for MS to do that at this time.
  • Options
    googol - Thanks for the reply. I was hoping that maybe hyper v console component could be used from win 7 for example .

Looks like it may be possible - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee256062(v=ws.10).aspx
  • Options
    Just installed ESXi 4 eval, and I like it way more than Hyper V so far.... hmmm vSphere client is nice!
  • Options
    Corndork2Corndork2 Member Posts: 266
    I have to admit I also prefer vSphere over Hyper-V. Its just easier, not to mention more feature packed.

I will give it to Microsoft though - Hyper-V is cheap. I can run Hyper-V on a standard Datacenter enterprise license. I also need to have that same license to run DC's. So, with Microsoft one license package gives me virtualization and DC server capabilities. With VMware I have to buy the MS license for my MS VM's and of course buy the vSphere license. For that reason a company I contract for is heavily looking into Hyper-V. Going to Hyper-V can eliminate 10-15k of VMware licensing and support costs per year
    Brocade: BAIS, BACNS, BAEFS Cisco: CCENT, CCNA R&S CWNP: CWTS Juniper: JNCIA-JUNOS
    CompTIA: A+ (2009), Network+ (2009), A+ CE, Network+ CE, Security+ CE, CDIA+
    Mikrotik: MTCNA, MTCRE, MTCWE, MTCTCE VMware: VCA-DV Rackspace: CloudU
  • Options
    Good point! I went ahead and also installed ESXi 5.0 eval version. I just noticed support for MAC OS X version, wow. I've been with PC's since ms dos 5.0 but I do have to support Macs at work sometimes, and this may come in handy!
  • Options
    SimonD.SimonD. Member Posts: 111
    It's going to come down to what you want from your virtualisation platform as to which one you go for, I work for a company that until last year was very heavily in bed with both Citrix and Microsoft from a virtualisation platform point, last year that changed and we are now very heavily involved with all things VMware, yes it's more expensive but it just does so much more and it does it so much better.

My background has been Microsoft for a good number of years, I was more than familiar with SCCM and the like but moved in the VMware direction a couple of years ago, what vCloud and vCAC can deliver for us far outshines what SCVMM\SCORCH can deliver and let's not even discuss Xen, we are now looking at moving our Xen estate over to our VMware estate because of the better reliability and speed of deployment (as a guide line, we can deploy just shy of 400 VMs (actually 39icon_cool.gif in just about 37 minutes, that's a mix of Linux (Centos), RHEL (Oracle DB servers) and Windows boxes along with the required networking (F5's loadbalancers and Edge devices), something we simply couldn't accomplish with either Hyper-V or Xen.

We realise that it's expensive but we get astounding support from VMware, far better than we do from either Citrix or Microsoft and the things that VMware are doing at the moment really are worth getting involved with now.
    My Blog - http://www.everything-virtual.com
    vExpert 2012\2013\2014\2015
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JeanM wrote: »
    I just noticed support for MAC OS X version, wow.

Only works when installing ESXi on Apple certified hardware.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1000131
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Not really true, it's just what Apple wants you to do. Check multiple sites/youtube videos that show it works .
  • Options
    googolgoogol Member Posts: 107
    A lot of folks are considering switching to 2012 Hyper-V, cuts down on licensing and support costs of VMware, but they have to understand you need SC2012 with it, DC licensing more than likely to match the DC Win VM. Microsoft is definitely closing the gap and SC2012 is much better, just imagine what Hyper-V v4 will be like coming soon in 2015 or so.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JeanM wrote: »
    Not really true, it's just what Apple wants you to do. Check multiple sites/youtube videos that show it works .

I apologise for not advertising how to breach their copyright - silly me :p
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p