Planning to take A+ 220 801 in 5 days, any good last minute advice?

DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
My exam is scheduled for the coming Wednesday. Is there anything I should look over? I mainly used the Messer videos and the Exam Cram, but I also read the 801 parts of they Myers book. I'm planning on taking some notes from the Exam cram since I finished watching the Messer videos again a few days ago.

Comments

• earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When it comes to the actual test:

1. Don't panic
    2. Breathe
    3. DO NOT RUSH IT! Use all the time you can but don't hang yourself up on one question for too long.
    4. Carefully and logically read ALL QUESTIONS. CompTIA's wording on a few of the questions are "questionable" in itself, however you will find the answer if you simply sit and process it's wording.
    5. Don't overthink. I made a few silly mistakes by doing that...
    6. Be prepared for the simulations. They aren't very tough as they provide the precise amount of information needed for you to complete the Sims. All you need to know is how and where to "put things into place".
    7. Don't last minute cram.
    8. Don't let one question "defeat you", this test is cake!

When it comes to what I personally recommend studying:

1. Know the components of your motherboard! Ram, CMOS Battery, PCI slots etc. Like, know exactly where they are located. Trust me.
    2. Know how to configure networks (IP address input, SSID hiding, Signal changing etc) in a router. There is a chapter in Networking in the Exam Cram book that explains how to configure a router. Look over that.
    3. KNOW your computer configurations. For example, what is the best parts for a Gaming computer, CAD Workstation , Home Theater PC etc.
    4. Don't last minute cram.

I studied using the same method you did and passed both 801 and 802 (yesterday and today).

You can do it, easy A right here!
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • CIOCIO Member Posts: 151
    I couldn't have said it any better.
  • MsMcNettMsMcNett Registered Users Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    earonw49 wrote: »

1. Don't panic
    2. Breathe
    3. DO NOT RUSH IT! Use all the time you can but don't hang yourself up on one question for too long.
    4. Carefully and logically read ALL QUESTIONS. CompTIA's wording on a few of the questions are "questionable" in itself, however you will find the answer if you simply sit and process it's wording.
    6. Be prepared for the simulations. They aren't very tough as they provide the precise amount of information needed for you to complete the Sims. All you need to know is how and where to "put things into place".

1. Know the components of your motherboard! Ram, CMOS Battery, PCI slots etc. Like, know exactly where they are located. Trust me.
    2. Know how to configure networks (IP address input, SSID hiding, Signal changing etc) in a router. There is a chapter in Networking in the Exam Cram book that explains how to configure a router. Look over that.
    3. KNOW your computer configurations. For example, what is the best parts for a Gaming computer, CAD Workstation , Home Theater PC etc.

I studied using the same method you did and passed both 801 and 802 (yesterday and today).

Best advice I ever heard!
  • DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    Passed with a 711 :)

Now onto 802
  • shyguyITshyguyIT Member Posts: 380
    Congrats to both! icon_thumright.gif
    2017 Goals:
    Route[X], Switch [], TSHOOT[]
  • frostferretfrostferret Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    earonw49 wrote: »

1. Don't panic
    2. Breathe

This is excellent advice, I passed with 796 but I wish had studied this:

"1. Know the components of your motherboard! Ram, CMOS Battery, PCI slots etc. Like, know exactly where they are located."

a bit more.
  • earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats to you both!

The 802 focuses on a lot of troubleshooting as well as Windows Operating systems.

I'd strongly suggest looking over objectives in regards to those!

Bring us back another winner! :)
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019