Interesting Degree Statistics

slotzeroslotzero Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
This is part of the reason I set out to finish my BS, and want to move into an MS program. Helps put into perspective how a degree can help set you apart:

Educational attainment in the United States, Age 25 and Over (2012):

[TH]Education[/TH]
[TH]Percentage[/TH]

High school graduate
87.65%

Some college
57.28%

Associate's and/or Bachelor's degree
40.58%

Bachelor's degree
30.94%

Master's degree
8.05%

Doctorate or professional degree
3.07%

Source: Educational attainment in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not saying it's the end-all-be-all - I've had a nice long career in IT without my degree. But when you're shooting for those lofty openings, the bigger those checkmarks on your resume, the better IMHO.
WGU BS:IT/SF In Progress...

Comments

• MarDavidMarDavid Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree, i'm working towards my BS. Thanks for the posting.
  • SoergBotSoergBot Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sense of accomplishment is what really gets me
  • NyblizzardNyblizzard Member Posts: 332 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That difference in percentage between Bachelor's and Master's is worth noting too
    O
    /|\
    / \
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Here's the more compelling graphic from Wikipedia:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/Education_Income_Sex.jpg

And even more compelling:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/40/Figure01-earnings_by_degree.gif

Of course, you'll get some anti-academia sentiment here on TE, and not without reason. It is quite possible to top the averages for graduate-degree holders in this line of work without having any degree, and fairly achievable without a graduate degree. That being said, depending on your career goals, a bachelors degree is quite often worth the time and effort, and even graduate degrees often are.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I think the backlash you get here on the statistics you posted is because it is not necessarily tailored to IT. Obviously a doctor makes more than a drop out janitor which are included in these types of numbers. What would be useful to us is to see more numbers directly related to the IT field because it is a bit unique when it comes to qualifications.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Very nice.

I should have my Master's degree by the end of next month. I only have my capstone left so I'll be happy to join the 8%. It probably won't boost my career in leaps or bounds but it'll help down the road if I ever choose management or just even to make my resume stand out a little more
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • neo9006neo9006 Member Posts: 195
    Well I just joined the 40 percent since I have associate degree in one area and my bachelors in another. Too bad it didn't do anything for me at work as far as a raise or a promotion, reason I am the hunt for another job.
    BAAS - Web and Media Design
    Working on A+
  • Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks for sharing the info. Last semester and the bachelors is complete... then it's on to the masters... WGU... here I come ...maybe LOL

Thanks again.

(congrats Iristheangel on your accomplishments)
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    That chart for men versus women looks rough, but I don't think that it takes into account that there are women with advanced degrees who may be stay-at-home moms, or took time out from the work force for children, or maybe just work part-time. The straight comparison isn't entirely accurate.

I know one guy who's a stay-at-home dad. He had CCIE/MBA. (not sure if he let that 'IE expire by now). I only got to see him maybe once or twice since he left soon after I showed up at at that employer, but he seemed to be a pretty nice guy. I vividly remember that he had one of those perfect, sparkling smiles I believe that his wife is a dentist. :D

Of course, it's unusual for a guy to choose to be a full-time Dad, but I'd like to have that choice. I told my wife as much. She tells me that I have no chance of ever being a stay-at-home dad, unless I can find a good source of residual income. :) I tried shaking a few trees, but money never fell out icon_sad.gif
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    I really thought that there were more people with BS and MS degrees. Or at least BS. They are easier to get these days so more people do it. Maybe I was wrong.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for the info. Gives me plenty of motivation.

@instant000...you made me laugh. That bit about shaking a tree...too much. I wish I could have been a stay-at-home dad. That would have been killer. Unfortunately, I've gotten to a point where days off drive me absolutely nuts. Fifty to seventy hours a week seems to suit me well enough. Now I don't think I'd want to not have a job. Period.

@Master of Puppets...I can believe the low number of Bachelor degree earners. I've read way too many horror stories about the debt being racked up by undergrads that they feel compelled to quit in order to pay down their debts. Sad, really. Of course, most people point at for-profit schools being too expensive and not enough people finishing through them. I think that not-for-profit schools are starting to show similar numbers of dropouts. Again, quite sad, really.

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • The_ExpertThe_Expert Member Posts: 136
    I'm a big fan of education. Now, it's not a guarantee by any stretch of the imagination. You still have to work hard and be proactive to make the big bucks.

But, like others have mentioned - it will make you stand out. Especially, with a Masters degree. That's why I'm a big fan of certifications as well. Do what you can and get as many accolades (within reason) to help you advance in your career.

And yes, sometimes we do have to change jobs to make more pay.
    Masters, Public Administration (MPA), Bachelor of Science, 20+ years of technical experience.

Studying on again, off again...
  • goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Experience is KING!! Didn't figure this out till I got into my 30's. Live and Learn
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I went back to school when I was in my 30s. Worked out great. My experience helped me get through it faster. All in all, the BS is just an HR check box anyway once you're that old.
  • PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Received my BA in history- Russian and Soviet history....still not sure how I got here.